overall
Brewed by Wells & Youngs
Style: Stout
Bedford, England

RATINGS: 3412   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Available filtered and pasteurised in 500ml bottles and in nitrocans. Also Nitro Keg on Tap
Production moved from Youngs to Wells & Youngs in 2007.
Ingredients: Pale ale and crystal malt, chocolate malt, special blend of sugars, Fuggle and Goldings hops, real dark chocolate and chocolate essence.
Chocolate malt and real dark chocolate are combined with Young's award winning rich, full flavoured dark beer to craft a satisfyingly indulgent, but never overly sweet experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Not bad at all; a wonderful take on the sweet stout genre, with a nicely balanced creamy chocolate flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tourette (211) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Great, yummy, chocolaty. Its been on sale in my area recently too, so I’ve been indulging often. :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kilgore41599 (98) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 20, 2002
A good solid stout. I would like to try it on tap sometime, but cannot find it anywhere.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 19, 2002
I think I’ll have my girlfriend try this - she hates beer (called Guinness ’vile’), but loves chocolate. I liked it, although I wouldn’t drink more than two at a time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AlGreen99 (33) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 18, 2002
Im not a huge chocolate fan, that is why this lacks in my flavour department. Other than the extremely apparent chocolate taste it also has a sweet after taste. Hard to drink more than two in a row.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Chasboy99 (6) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 18, 2002 does not count
As a chocoholic, its hard for me to not love this beer. I find it just does everything right, and the color is great. I think it has now surpassed Celebrator as my new favorite.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
sockeye (4) - USA - FEB 17, 2002 does not count
I agree with DrBeer. I am in love with this beer. Rich and chocolatey with a strong coffee note, beautiful deep black hue. Nice malty aroma, lovely thick mouthfeel. The perfect beer for a cool winter night.

RedTickBeer (39) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - FEB 17, 2002
Smelled great, tasted pretty damn good too. As stated in previous reviews a definite bitter chocolate flavor is present. Malty, rich, and creamy. I definitley will drink again. A fantstic stout and a really good beer overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - FEB 13, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 Weak flavor compared to other stouts I've tried, but still nice undertones of chocolate and roastiness (is that a word?). Slight bitterness. Less than medium body (otherwise I would've rated higher).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - FEB 10, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2004 Mmmm, this was very good, wonderful dark appearance, hints of chocolate abound. A very good stout. A think this would be the perfect 'dessert' to end a great meal