RATINGS: 680   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A full bodied mellow porter with a rich dark color.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PorterPounder (7424) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - AUG 12, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2004 RerateDark chestnut color, thick mocha head, fresh lake water aroma, slight chocolate and coffee flavor with some deent bitter bac end notes. Clean palate. Not the best porter - but a bargain for $5.29 a six. Original 2.5Drinkable beer, but if the label did not say 'Porter' I would not have known it to be. Nothing offensive about this brew - just not a true porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 12, 2002
Lighter in color and body than other porters, but sometimes that’s not such a bad thing. Very tasty and easy to drink, one of few inexpensive and quality porters to emerge from PA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ARMed (625) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2002
Aroma is not overly powering, but the appearance is exceptional. The taste is even better. Deep black, opaque in color with a hint of deep red-brown color. The head is thick foamy cushion that slowly disperses along edge of glass. A small sip will immediately confuse you: chocolate carmel candy or roasted porter. I tend to lean towards the former. It screams for you to take another sip. Complex and thick with NO bitter aftertaste. Robust and mellow at the same time. Smooth, rich and lasting. A true brew from the Nations Oldest Brewery. One of the best porter’s I ever tasedt. I love it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
benzim (36) - USA - JUL 30, 2002
Bland. Not really a porter since it uses lager yeast. There is a tar-ish flavor in here that I really dislike, not sure what it is. Other than that it reminds me of Michelob Dark.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 25, 2002
Really terrific. I think this deserves to be considered one of the top porters due to its mildness and balance (yes, it’s a tad fizzy). Carnegie’s and Fullers’ porters are more like stouts - Yuengling’s is a true porter (rerate: actually, on reconsideration, I think Yuengling’s veers more closely toward a schwarzbier because it’s so light in mouthfeel). Try their Traditional Lager too, it’s a winner!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rcarroll2 (28) - Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 25, 2002
This is the best Yuengling has to offer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2002
by far the best offering from this brewery, but still on the light side for a real porter

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JUL 6, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2011 This is a nice porter that I bet would go great with a thick porterhouse. Too bad I can’t find this in the South. Re-rate: Too mediciney for my tastes these days but would still like that porterhouse.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
stemcell00199 (21) - worcester, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2002
This a lot better than the Black and Tan they have. By far, the best the brewery has made that I have tasted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hoohoosdad99 (5) - Lock Haven, USA - JUN 20, 2002 does not count
I am not a fan of the Yuengling Lager but I love this stuff. As my friend says it is like a candy bar in a bottle.