Yukon Brewers’ A.D.D. Series 001 Birch Marzen

Brewed by Yukon Brewing Company
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
Whitehorse, Canada
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 2.96/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thb (676) - Alberta, CANADA - SEP 27, 2012
Pours a rusty copper with half inch of creamy head. Aromas of cereal/grains/bread. Some fruitiness. Honey (although that might be the birch). Really quite sweet, but not cloying. I like the touch of birch in it, and it is there to be sure.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mdnguyen (31) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 16, 2012
The pour: A syrupy amber-orange with little to no head. The aroma: quite subdued but caramel malts and a unique syrupy note comes through, slightly woody. The taste: Starts with a faint bitterness and quickly finishes with a syrupy sweetness. Feels very watery in the mouth. The verdict: a brave effort but the birch sap is too subdued and does not significantly contribute to any outstanding taste or aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TimE (3120) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 7, 2012
a bit too sweet, bready, malty but a bit unbalanced. Decent, but outstanding.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ferris (3797) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 25, 2012
Bottle - Smells like a sweet lager with a tinge of burnt orange liqueur. Clear orange with little to no head. Tastes like a flavoured lager with a watery mouth feel. It was OK, just not something I would order again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Powertrip (999) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 24, 2012
Single bottle purchased from Zyn Liqour in Calgary, AB on 12/17/2011. Colour: Light copper...or orange with honey...however you wanna look at it. Minimal head. Nose: Malt shows light fudge character. A lake water/driftwood mix is evident. It took awhile to find it but dirty dishtowel comes out too. Taste: Medium sweet, medium-light bitter, medium-light sour. Lot’s of upfront sugar and dough, which turns to sugar cookie. Slight herbal presence makes it more like a pizza dough later on. Soft on the palate and vanilla traces late. Interesting beer, quite unique but not outstanding.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Sammy (8524) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 11, 2012
An experiment worth having, I thought, but... The birch flavour did nothing for me. Completely uninteresting to drank. Bark sap in a light mouthfeel lager. Black bodied with a fast disappearing head. Bark sap aroma. Mostly drain poured. Maybe if less barky, so that the bite would be more than the bark.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
VertBaconStrips (2069) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 19, 2011
Rating from November two Poured out a slightly hazy deep amber brew with a small light brown head that simmers to a compact cover and some spotty lacing. Nice soft aroma: creamy softness with toastiness, an orangy (non-citrusy) / honey blend, caramel, nice sweetness, weak almond and although my brain is telling me there is something woody I just can’t believe - that brain has tricked me before - it convinced me that that adams apple on that tall chick with the large hands wasn’t an issue.... I really like the aroma here - it is powerfully soft. The taste is also pretty good and the depth pops up on the back end with something extra and a long, changing after taste. That is because there is a unique bitterness that seems to be found longer and longer in the taste on every couple of sips. Soft caramel and light toastiness, weak fruit and early on at the back end there was something but now I cannot even remotely locate it as this odd bitterness that I was raving about has become a distraction to what I was hoping to continue to taste. It is possible that I’ve been drinking this too fast and have not allowed any relief - water might help but then I would have to move this sedentary lump I call a body. Not quite medium bodied. I enjoyed this beer, especially the aroma but this lost what I liked as it warmed. No big deal - a good price and a good product means I might get another and drink it soon. The label sucks for a couple of reasons but mainly the colours - white, whitish blue, and a dull orange. Don’t matter - I drink it for whats under the cap.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
DuffMan (6641) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 2, 2011
Bottle. Clear medium amber, average off-white head with poor retention and no lace. Aroma is sweet brown-sugar caramel with a bit of a fruity nuance to it. Flavour is quite sweet and brown sugary, pretty simplistic, without much malt depth. Very little hop presence. Let me begin by saying that I love Yukon Brewing, and I love brewer experimentation even more, but I’m disappointed on several levels. First, the amount of packaging for such an average offering is just silly and dumb. Second, with any special release that charges a premium, I expect more in the way of depth, complexity, etc. Just pouring some birch syrup into a crystal malt mash doesn’t cut it for me. And third, I actually have in my possession, right now, a bottle of birch syrup that I brought back from Alaska. It is pretty cool stuff-- much different than maple syrup-- darker, and possessing a different cooked-sugar flavour profile that is quite unique. This beer failed utterly to capture that set of flavours and aromatics for me. Sorry Yukon, but this beer was a pretty big disappointment.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
gramity (1307) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 30, 2011
Deep dark coloured amber, it pours with basically no head at all and what little head it has does not last long. The aroma is thin and difficult for me to describe. Is that a bit of berries? The flavours start with caramel and an odd flavour that is hard to describe. Decently malty. Medium bodied, slightly sharp mouth feel. Not overly filling.A decent beer with a very unique flavour to it. Toffee and malts make up the bulk of the flavours.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cirrhosis (1200) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 21, 2011
Dark honey brown with a small white crown. Nat say’s smells like beer. Sweet bready aroma, caramel, sweet tree’s........ yes I said sweet trees. Taste is fuller, very sweet, slight sour dough in the finish. You can totally taste the sap but i cant give it a description. Malts are toasty and seem watery and soft. Apple, yep I taste apple!!! I smell cookie dough now!!!!!! Neat tasting beer I can’t really say i like it, but it’s not bad.