Zhiguly Beer (Russian Label)

overall
Brewed by Gubernija
Style: Pale Lager
Šiauliai, Lithuania

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 2.09/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.28   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
NOTE: This is the muddy-coloured beer with the brown bottle and Russian label.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
kindestcut (30) - Addison, Texas, USA - SEP 27, 2009
Original review from 5/21/03. My God. I figured I had experienced bad beer. However, I had never had a Zhiguly Beer. Now that my eyesight has returned, I can write this review. This "beer" pours a cloudy, dark gold. On the downside (one of the many downsides) there are particles of God knows what suspended in the liquid, like hundreds of little stink bombs just waiting to explode in your mouth. I know this is normal for this beer because folks at the Central Market in Plano have posted a sign on their cooler explaining that this is normal. In other words, we donít want this filth back! The head was incredibly vigorous. This, and the fact my tongue didnít melt, saves this beer from getting a "1" rating from me. I was mesmerized by the head. At least it was interesting to watch, kind of like a wildebeest being attacked by a lion...itís a fascinating sight but itís probably a bad idea to get in the middle of it. The odor is not inviting. Thereís a strong aroma of caramel and brown sugar. The flavor is not good but not the worst in the world...maybe itís just the worst in the western world. Roasted malt dominates the flavor...as in I can taste nothing else. There is no balance because thereís nothing to balance. Itís easy to juggle one apple. The mouthfeel is disappointing only because the incredible carbonation evident at the pour has dissipated to nearly nothing. Itís also a bit disconcerting because I expect the mystery particles to get caught between my teeth. I would hate to think I would have to floss after drinking a beer. If this is what I would have to look forward to if I ever visited Lithuania then I think Iíll go to Latvia instead. From this point on, I shall refer to this travesty as "liquid cancer."

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
ogivlado (5584) - Zagreb, CROATIA - MAR 2, 2009
big brown plastic bottle(2000ml). -as Gubernija Zhigulevskoe Svetloe Pivo.
Yellow coloured, small white head that went away fast leaving no lace, low carbonation, weak corn nose. Lack of everything here, the closest description would go like this: water with notes of dried vegetables extract mixed withchicken meat or ragout... Hm, my dear American ratebeer friends whatís wrong here???

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Marko (3894) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - FEB 27, 2009
Gubernija Zhigulevskoe Svetloe Pivo brewed for the German distributor Monolith. ogivlado picked it up in a Russian store in Graz (thanks for sharing!). Poured an odd dull dark yellow/tan body with almost no head. Weak nose and I’m grateful that it’s like that... smells of artificial chicken soup. The taste is weak and empty... cardboard, meat, peas, with some extremely weak (hoppy?) bitterness showing up from time to time. Less offensive than the sum of its parts but man this sucks.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
Ungstrup (29134) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - OCT 5, 2008
Bottled. A golden beer with a thin white head. The aroma is skunky with metallic notes of alcohol. The flavor is metallic and alcoholic, leading to a dry metallic finish. Not good.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
ThomasE (5176) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 28, 2008
Hazy golden colour with a white head. Malty, grainy and sweet aroma with notes of grass. Malty, grainy flavor with some sweetness. Hay notes in a dry finish.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
yespr (30747) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - DEC 14, 2007
2 L plastic bottle. Pours slight hazy yellow and with a fully diminished white head. Butterish aroma, slight grainy. Grainy dry flavour with a finish of butter. Too much diacetyl for my liking.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Emil (6066) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 4, 2007
Plastic bottle. A pale golden beer with a white head. The aroma and taste is rotten and of wet carboard. Light body, just realy bad!

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
joergen (20569) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - DEC 3, 2007
Plastic bottle. Clear yellow coloured with a white ehad. Aroma of malts and grain with notes of cooked vegetables. Flavour of malts, grain and cooked vegetables.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
fiulijn (14340) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 3, 2007
Plastic bottle
Hazy blond color. Common Lager, sweetish, with some hay/honeish character and respectable bitterness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Papsoe (25089) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - DEC 2, 2007
(Plastic bottle 200 cl) Actually comes as "Gubernija Zhigulevskoe Svetloe Pivo" in cyrillic letters - I reckon itís this one (although I absolutely donít understand the high US ratings!). Anyways, this pours slightly hazy golden with a tiny, unclean head. Odd aroma of vegetables, but not completely unpleasant. Medium body, a little flat in the mouthfeel - like most plasticbottled beers. Sweet accents of brewing cereal, a little cardboard and then a rough bitterness. Truly a relic from an ancient Soviet era. 301107