Zigs Porter
     click to upload

Formerly brewed at Zigs Kettle and Brew
Style: Porter
Jackson, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.65/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jaymobrown (1664) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Really dark with the typical roasted flavors. A bit of smokiness, but didn't really see this evolving into anything. Decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - JUL 28, 2003
Notes of smoky cherrywood, sappy with a coffee bean finish. Thin, but had a lot of flavors going for it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Like Sean says, I'm a sucker for that dry malty smokiness of a good porter, with a crisp bit of hops (although I'm surprised to read that its 45 IBUs!). My brew was listed as 7.5%, not 6.8%, and it showed as the alcohol thinned the body even further and took it out of style quite a bit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - APR 10, 2003
45 Ibus. I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for smoky porters, adn for this taste in beer in general. This beer is thinner than it might be, so it relies hard on flavor, and that is a slow build of smoke and richer malts that builds into a brush fire, til the smoke takes over with the effect of a decent cigar. I like this beer a lot, and I probably like it a lot more than it deserves, but like I said, I'm a sucker for this flavor.