1 gallon batch question

Reads 524 • Replies 3 • Started Friday, October 3, 2014 8:43:24 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sylvia40
beers 6 º 08:43 Fri 10/3/2014

I’ve started to experiment with making small batchs (1 gallon) and was wondering if anyone has attempted to use a pressure cooker as a means to steep the grain in a constant temp. environment, rather than in an open pot on a stove top. I’ve heard there are digital electric pressure cookers that can maintain preset temps fairly closely. Anyone have any experience trying this?

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 13:23 Fri 10/3/2014

All of the temperatures that are used in Homebrewing are much lower than the temperatures that pressure cookers attain. I would just use a much smaller, well insulated cooler of some sort and if you have real serious temperatures drop off in the hour that it takes to mash, you could stir in few cups of boiling water half way through the mash time to bring it up again.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 13:33 Fri 10/3/2014

If you absolutely have to do it in a pot over direct heat, I would research an induction plate of some sort. They will maintain close temperatures in the ranges you need. But you’ll need a certain type of pot.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 11:34 Sat 10/4/2014

I appreciate your input. With the setup I currently have, temps drop off about 8-10 degrees in the hour I steep the grains. Hopefully this doesn’t affect the flavor too much. I’m really just experimenting with ingredients and adjuncts like juniper berries, spruce extract, unique grain combinations I don’t want to commit 5 gallons to. I’m not trying to make award winning brews this way, just being a mad scientist, I guess.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer