RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

1,000 British Breweries

read 1062 times • 27 replies • posted 9/12/2012 11:32:19 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
imdownthepub 9954:452
Slightly old news as Rick Pickup mentioned it a few weeks back on Scoopgen, but CAMRA have followed this up today, on the launch of GBG 2013.
It seems to prove that Brewing is certainly alive and well in Britain as these are mostly made up of Micro Breweries. Getting the choice into the pubs is proving more difficult.
Anyway, something to celebrate.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
cgarvieuk 13921:150
Nice, i did a quick count just of scotland and we seem to have about 75, so really its no surprise that weve got 1000 in the UK
9/12/2012 11:40:29 PM

Private message send the author a private message

haddonsman 1234:56
What it shows is that anyone with a redundancy cheque and dreams of more shiny shiny than their garage homebreww kit has can start a brewery. What worries me is the number of new breweries who use kit purchased from some poor sod whoís gone to the wall.

144 breweries opening last year? In a recession? Whilst brewers whoíve been running 3-6 years have sold up? Looks unsustainable to me.
9/12/2012 11:57:52 PM

premium
Originally posted by haddonsman
What it shows is that anyone with a redundancy cheque and dreams of more shiny shiny than their garage homebreww kit has can start a brewery. What worries me is the number of new breweries who use kit purchased from some poor sod whoís gone to the wall.

144 breweries opening last year? In a recession? Whilst brewers whoíve been running 3-6 years have sold up? Looks unsustainable to me.

you could be right.

But i dont think many have gone bust here.

Were also seeing more of the Contract Brewers, SO that lower risk, and are helping some of the small breweries with capacity.

The beer market in Edinburgh has exploded. I think theres people drinking cask and New Keg that wouldnt have been doing that 3-4 years ago, so there must be a little room for some new breweries
9/13/2012 12:11:45 AM

premium
imdownthepub 9954:452
I can see where you are coming from, but I do believe that there is a gradual movement towards quality and choice within the market. The growth in new Brewery numbers cannot just be explained by a shift from other Industries. The larger regional Brewers will have to keep pace with the changes demanded by Customers looking for better quality and delivery while they are having to pay higher prices for their night outs.

There will be casualties along the way, but I believe growth in Micro Breweries can only be a good thing.
9/13/2012 1:32:19 AM

premium
chriso 7347:368
Originally posted by haddonsman

People have been saying this for ages but the fact is that there are many more breweries opening than closing and that has been the case consistently for many years. The number that actually go bust every year is surprisingly small.
9/13/2012 3:04:15 AM

premium
wheresthepath 1521:54
James Campbell from Marble was on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about the rise in new breweries (surprised CAMRA hadnít got a rep on there). Have to say, James gave a good account of himself, and cut a striking figure in his eyepatch!

Anth
9/13/2012 4:38:57 AM

premium
Originally posted by wheresthepath
James Campbell from Marble was on BBC Breakfast this morning

I guess thatís what you get from moving everything up to Salford!
9/13/2012 5:17:37 AM

RickPickup
CAMRA 1007(9?) is actually incorrect as it include contract brewers (and cuckoos where I can equally make the case for their inclusion or not) as full breweries. Going for breweries with their own plant predominantly brewing cask ale, which I think is what CAMRA should be celebrating, Quaffale actually list 999 at the moment, with 5 to be added now Iíve got a working landline again so we are actually properly over the 1000 now.

As to if they are long term viable or not, well Iíve been expecting a big drop in numbers for 4-5 years and it hasnít happened yet, so I think they answer is generally yes. Remember a lot are one man bands who enjoy doing it. They arenít after being millionaires, just making a living. There will be several that go to the wall, several where the chap behind it finds it hard work and goes back to his old job, but there are always people who will follow on.

Itís also worth noting that a lot of recent opening have been very small. Going back a few years most new breweries were 5BBL plants or bigger. Now we have a lot of brewpubs or what I call "commercial home-brewers" who brew an 18 gallon batch and even some who brew 9 and 4.5 gallon.
9/13/2012 7:28:57 AM

premium
Originally posted by RickPickup
As to if they are long term viable or not, well Iíve been expecting a big drop in numbers for 4-5 years and it hasnít happened yet, so I think they answer is generally yes. Remember a lot are one man bands who enjoy doing it. They arenít after being millionaires, just making a living.

Indeed. There are a lot of "lifestyle choice" brewers & part-timers out there these days. The increasing interest in locally produced products helps to make some of these very small operations viable. You donít need too many local regular outlets to eke a living, even if it wonít make you rich.
9/13/2012 7:36:15 AM

premium
Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by RickPickup
As to if they are long term viable or not, well Iíve been expecting a big drop in numbers for 4-5 years and it hasnít happened yet, so I think they answer is generally yes. Remember a lot are one man bands who enjoy doing it. They arenít after being millionaires, just making a living.

Indeed. There are a lot of "lifestyle choice" brewers & part-timers out there these days. The increasing interest in locally produced products helps to make some of these very small operations viable. You donít need too many local regular outlets to eke a living, even if it wonít make you rich.

maybe i see a semi retirement plan comming on :-)
9/13/2012 7:45:49 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers