153 ratings of BrewDog and De Molen

Reads 1271 • Replies 17 • Started Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:07:57 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 14:07 Tue 9/22/2015

Whilst I wait for my lamb roast to, well, roast, I thought I’d flick through some of my stats.

And I found that I had rated 153 beers from both BrewDog and De Molen. Which I have to admit surprised me, I thought BrewDog would have been higher. But De Molen will be higher by Friday due to my attendance of Borefts 7 (only beer festival I have attended every year in it’s existence, due to the fact that it is THE BEST BEER FESTIVAL IN THE WORLD).

So if you had BrewDog or De Molen, which would you choose? And Why?

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 14:10 Tue 9/22/2015

I’m guessing I won’t get any reaction from the West Midlands this evening due to the Villa vs Brum derby.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 14:15 Tue 9/22/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
I’m guessing I won’t get any reaction from the West Midlands this evening due to the Villa vs Brum derby.

I wondered why the pubs were full of idiots in soccer tops.

I prefer De Molen, their beers are much more interesting and varied. Well the ones I have tried anyway.

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 14:19 Tue 9/22/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener

I wondered why the pubs were full of idiots in soccer tops.

I prefer De Molen, their beers are much more interesting and varied. Well the ones I have tried anyway.

More varied? Not sure. De Molen make some of my favourite imperial stouts, and strong dark beers, like Hel and Ver, Rasputin, Mout & Mocha etc, but then BrewDog do some very good hoppy beers as well as the Paradox range. I’d be hard pressed to give an answer.

minutemat
beers 14647 º places 551 º 14:46 Tue 9/22/2015

Brewdog I think tend to be more consistent. I’ve had a few De Molens that pour flat or muddled, or just plain bad. Not to say Brewdog don’t throw an odd one (Hopfiction being one), but I tend to trust them more to provide the goods.

teorn88
beers 7739 º places 109 º 14:49 Tue 9/22/2015

I think I’d personally prefer to live nearby a De Molen Bar / get excellent De Molen distribution, if I were to choose.
Not an easy choice, but I feel like I’ve wowed more often by De Molen vs Brewdog, overall.
Of course, that would mean lack of good IPAs. What a dilemma..

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 14:50 Tue 9/22/2015

Currently watching it from the best bar in Chester the Cellar amazing selection. Had a decent Orval.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 14:58 Tue 9/22/2015

Originally posted by RichTheVillan

Currently watching it from the best bar in Chester the Cellar amazing selection. Had a decent Orval.

Must be a newish place, I don’t remember it being there when I studied in Chester. Have you been to the ye olde boot yet, some Sam Smiths ticks for you there maybe. It used to be my regular.

evergreen0199
beers 5928 º 15:06 Tue 9/22/2015

No contest, De Molen for me, they make more interesting beers IMO. I have shares in Brewdog but that is for the discount in their bars where I drink the great selection of guest beers. I don’t dislike Brewdog beers just feel that they are in division 2.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40412 º places 1239 º 15:38 Tue 9/22/2015

My totals are a bakers dozen short of Ians but with BD in the clear with 161 vs 132 De Molen.

I would take BD overall .. far more consistent and they know how to utilise hops.

Don’t get me wrong, I like De Molen, some solid imperial stouts with lots of different barrels having being used but ’Great Hoppy De Molen Beer’ is a bit of a Google Whack and I’ve had a few too many infections over the years.

The BD knockers can knock all they want but ’Infected BD Beer’ is another Google Whack!

harrisoni
beers 25350 º places 68 º 16:01 Tue 9/22/2015

I’m torn. I wouldn’t want to be without either brewery. Which brewery consistently puts a smile on my face? I think when De Molen are good, they are better than BrewDog, but for sheer consistency, I think I’d have to go BrewDog. Although Hel & Ver, Bomm & Gran, Rasputin are some of my favourite all time RB beers. It’s an interesting match up. De Molen don’t do a Punk IPA.
Anyway, just a bit of fun of a Tuesday night.
The lamb roast plus roast veg were amazing with a little Aussie Shiraz/Cabernet.
Hope to see some of you in the Netherlands this weekend and if my SIM card works out then online with everyone else.