2 Gallon Batches vs. 5 Gallon Batches

Reads 7703 • Replies 14 • Started Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:44:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mnmike
beers 1087 º places 33 º 19:44 Tue 1/22/2013

Anyone else here prefer to make smaller batches (2 gallons) instead of 5 gallons?

I just really like the variety aspect and trying new things - as opposed to having to drink or give away roughly 60 12 oz. bottles of the same beer.

Also, for the Safale S-04 11.5g packets - anyone had any success in just using half the packet of yeast and then saving the other half in the fridge for a month and brewing with that then?

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 19:48 Tue 1/22/2013

For me, it’s too much of my time to invest to not do 5 gallons. Brewday is 5 hours, and I probably spend 8 hours or so total on every beer I brew. I just don’t have time to do that often enough to not make enough to last me 3-4 weeks.

foppa78
places 12 º 19:58 Tue 1/22/2013

Small batches are nice when trying to dial in a recipe but after that I would much rather brew 10+ gallon batches. I keg though. If I had to bottle everything I may appreciate going your route with the smaller batches.

Fred82
beers 2333 º places 7 º 20:03 Tue 1/22/2013

When I started brewing I was thinking that smaller batches would be the absolute best for me since I wanted to experiment a lot but after 9 months into the hobby, I realize that since brewdays are rather long, I don’t have that many occasions to brew so that ’s what is limiting my wish to experiment and with the limited number of batches I manage to brew, I don’t have that much extra beer on my hands so why not brew 5 gallons and have more especially when I’m very happy with the batch.

However, split batches is something I’m looking into and for that reason, I’ll probably buy a pair of small carboys soon.

ekoerper
beers 599 º places 39 º 22:15 Tue 1/22/2013

I tend to brew 10-15 gallons (I realize not everyone has this luxury) since it takes the same amount of time to brew 5. I then often do different treatments/fermentations to 5 gallon portions.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 22:17 Tue 1/22/2013

The time and effort difference between 2/5/10/etc. gallons is really minimal, so it’s hard to justify brewing only two or three gallons. The only times I’ve ever decided it was worth it to brew a smaller batch was with some hoppy beers since I can’t drink 5 gallons fast enough.

The idea of split batches/fermentation is a good one, depending on what you’re looking to do.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 22:37 Tue 1/22/2013

Originally posted by womencantsail
The time and effort difference between 2/5/10/etc. gallons is really minimal, so it’s hard to justify brewing only two or three gallons.

This. I brew together with two friends though, so I usually get through my allotment of a brew quite fast (our batches are about 4 gallons each). We’ve done some smaller batches as well but the time saved is negligible.

dEnk
beers 4200 º places 33 º 00:02 Wed 1/23/2013

Originally posted by womencantsail
The time and effort difference between 2/5/10/etc. gallons is really minimal, so it’s hard to justify brewing only two or three gallons. The only times I’ve ever decided it was worth it to brew a smaller batch was with some hoppy beers since I can’t drink 5 gallons fast enough.

The idea of split batches/fermentation is a good one, depending on what you’re looking to do.

^ This, was at 2, then went to 5, now going to 10.

That build up left me with different sized equipment so now I can split batches or do a quick extract brew with 2 gallons if I want to try a rough idea.

HornyDevil
06:25 Wed 1/23/2013

Originally posted by mnmike
Anyone else here prefer to make smaller batches (2 gallons) instead of 5 gallons?

I just really like the variety aspect and trying new things - as opposed to having to drink or give away roughly 60 12 oz. bottles of the same beer.

Though I don’t brew smaller batches, I tend to split some higher gravity batches into two 2.5 gallon batches. The last one that I did was an imperial breakfast stout (cocoa, coffee, & oats) and split the batch with half staying the same and the other half getting 3 lbs of buckwheat honey and a spiral of light toast French oak.

Originally posted by mnmike
Also, for the Safale S-04 11.5g packets - anyone had any success in just using half the packet of yeast and then saving the other half in the fridge for a month and brewing with that then?

I’m sure you could do it, but why? The packets are only like 3-fiddy a piece.

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 07:42 Wed 1/23/2013

The only time I regret brewing 5 gallons is when I occasionally make something that isn’t very good. Drain pouring gallons of homebrew is a sad occurrence.

robrules
places 1 º 07:56 Wed 1/23/2013

I always see comments about people saying they can’t imagine drinking 5 gals. of the same beer and don’t homebrew because they prefer variety. As an IPA drinker/brewer I can’t imagine drinking the same commercial IPA’s over and over again. I get to drink a totally unique IPA every 2 cases.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer