2015 Bell’s Hopslam

Reads 5298 • Replies 56 • Started Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:15:17 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 12:15 Tue 2/3/2015

Looks like this should be hitting the majority of the Bell’s distro footprint this week if it hasn’t already. We just got in a bunch today, people are buying it by the case and super happy to get a batch bottled relatively fresh (1/17) compared to the last couple of years.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this years batch? Drinking fine? Scroll past? Too commercial?

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 12:16 Tue 2/3/2015

Hoping I can get some. Stuff barely touches the shelves around here.

_angst_
beers 5019 º places 97 º 12:17 Tue 2/3/2015

Tried it for the first time this year. Kind Michigan trader shipped it here fresh. Very good for what it is but not my favourite kind of DIPA. Too sweet, malty and slightly too boozy.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 12:21 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by Frank

We got in something like 50 cases and they will not last the night. Pretty crazy how in demand this beer is around these parts, but people love Bell’s. Two Hearted is usually our top selling IPA for whatever reason.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 12:23 Tue 2/3/2015

Gulped down a six pack already..thought it was more citrus forward than pine. Honey covers the booze fairly well this year imo. The fresher bottle date helps I’m sure. Last year I got December bottles mid January. ..

Also had it on tap at Bells. If you ever had a doubt in this beer being one of the best, lay them to rest. So dank!

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 12:29 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by pepsican
Originally posted by Frank

We got in something like 50 cases and they will not last the night. Pretty crazy how in demand this beer is around these parts, but people love Bell’s. Two Hearted is usually our top selling IPA for whatever reason.

I really have come to dislike Two Hearted. It is a classic and very important as a midwest IPA, I think, but it is just too sweet and always seems to taste old to me.

I think Hopslam is a great beer. It is like a riesling made out of hops. It seems to vary based on the hop crop for whatever year so some years it lives up to the hype and some not but I always like it.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 12:50 Tue 2/3/2015

I agree on the two hearted. 10 years ago I thought it was amazing. Now it just tastes too sweet and I’m nearly as big of a fan of the intense floral hops as I once was.

I’m digging this Hopslam I guess. It’s as good as I’ve ever had it. It definitely reminds me of how far american brewers have come with pushing hop forward beers and really dialing them in. Also makes me realize it’s difficult to pull that off in the 10% range, or maybe I’m just less interested in high boost beer.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 13:57 Tue 2/3/2015

Hopslam already came and went in SD County

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 14:11 Tue 2/3/2015

Originally posted by GT2
Hopslam already came and went in SD County

Yeah they did a pretty staggered release this year over all of January and part of February. I’d be really curious to see production numbers. This beer really only works this well in a limited scenario, but damn does it sell quick.

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 14:26 Tue 2/3/2015

Love it. Still haven’t seen it in my parts. Usually shows up in jan. Maybe it hit here today.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 14:28 Tue 2/3/2015

Week of Jan. 12: Michigan and Missouri

Week of Jan. 19: Virginia, Washington DC, North Carolina, Wisconsin, South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Pennsylvania and California

Week of Jan. 26: Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio, New York, Puerto Rico and Arizona

Week of Feb. 2: Minnesota, North Dakota and Indiana

Ours was in the distributors warehouse on the 29th, so within 2 weeks of bottling. Seems like bottle one week, ship the next, out the following week, once a week, for four weeks.