2015 College Football Thread - In Season Edition

Reads 25305 • Replies 342 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:44:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:33 Mon 10/12/2015

Originally posted by SHIG
Originally posted by hopscotch
Originally posted by TheAlum
#FireAlGolden banner lives

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/649707198814273536

Anyone know if mgumby is still alive? He hasn’t been back since Nov 19, 2014. So much for 4-0 Miami, lol...AAC power house Cincy!

We texted back and forth a couple times this past spring. I asked where he’s been. He said straight-up that he wan’t paying attention to sports right now. The Dolphins, the Canes, the Marlins and the Braves were his teams and they all suck. He’s not watching. Too painful. I feel him. I stopped watching the Redskins years ago. I’m a fan, but not a masochist.

Sports was the reason behind his disappearance on RB? That sounds a little weak, like WVU offense and ’Cuse DBs...

I remember a tough, feisty Gumby that never backed down no matter how wrong he was. The embodiment of an Orlando RB CFB Thread regular.

Has fatherhood made him soft? He’s become another BBB63 #WeBeatOurselves

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:36 Mon 10/12/2015

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 12:42 Mon 10/12/2015

Just heard that one about Grier. This could be very bad

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:43 Mon 10/12/2015

Steroids?

Weren’t we just talking about this over the weekend, Homer?

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 12:50 Mon 10/12/2015

Lingarol or something is what I heard.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 13:01 Mon 10/12/2015

Gators gonna Gate

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 13:02 Mon 10/12/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum

MikeHuguenin
Florida will announce this afternoon that QB Will Grier has been suspended for the rest of the season for a violation of NCAA rules.

Horrible news. That kid is seriously talented. But it would have been awfully nice if they had suspended him BEFORE the Mizzou game instead of right after.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 13:21 Mon 10/12/2015

Originally posted by brokensail
Now that he’s checked into rehab, everyone is coming out of the woodwork, saying this has been a problem for a long time and people at Washington knew it was a problem.

Of course, that could just be people piling on. But if there’s really any truth to that, how could USC not have known?

Of course it was a problem, but do these schools really research that well when it comes to a known commodity. Look at ND and O’leary as an example. Plus I’m sure he was a functioning drunk prior to the divorce. Now he is a sloppy form of himself.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 13:39 Mon 10/12/2015

Now that he’s checked into rehab, everyone is coming out of the woodwork, saying this has been a problem for a long time and people at Washington knew it was a problem.

Of course, that could just be people piling on. But if there’s really any truth to that, how could USC not have known?

Of course it was a problem, but do these schools really research that well when it comes to a known commodity. Look at ND and O’leary as an example. Plus I’m sure he was a functioning drunk prior to the divorce. Now he is a sloppy form of himself.

How much of a proven commodity was he really, though? He was 34-29 at Washington. Yeah, I guess that’s better than where they were, but pretty mediocre. The biggest pluses on the guy’s resume was that he was an assistant under Norm Chow as OC and then under Carroll when he came back to the college game.

It’s all sort of irrelevant now, of course. I guess it’s not surprising, either, considering how many coaches in the major college ranks and in the NFL are just retreads. And some of them really bad retreads.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 14:21 Mon 10/12/2015

How much of a proven commodity was he really, though? He was 34-29 at Washington. Yeah, I guess that’s better than where they were, but pretty mediocre. The biggest pluses on the guy’s resume was that he was an assistant under Norm Chow as OC and then under Carroll when he came back to the college game.

It’s all sort of irrelevant now, of course. I guess it’s not surprising, either, considering how many coaches in the major college ranks and in the NFL are just retreads. And some of them really bad retreads.

I never said proven, I said know. He has a lot of West Coast/PAC-12 experience and was of course an assistant at USC for a number of years. I’m sure they didn’t spend a lot of time gathering info for the time he spent at Washington. Heck many thought that he should have been the coach following Carrol departure.