RateBeer

3 Fonteinen Oude Gueze

read 1561 times • 26 replies •

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
premium
beers 1533 º places 56 º 09:05 Tue 6/25/2013

I was happy that our 3 Fonteinen stash stuck around on the shelves for a few years after the Cantillon wipe out. Noticed something was going on when the regular and kriek were snatched up, but someone recently bought every Schaerbeekse offered ( 4 cases @ about $250 a case). Yeah, so long 3 font. Hopefully Tilquin flies under the radar awhile longer. After that, Iíll just give up on the style.

As good as these styles can be for aging compared to other beer, itís pretty hit or miss. I really just prefer them fresh for the most part.

fletche00
09:22 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by egajdzis
Originally posted by adamjackson

That sucks. A lot of NYC and Boston beer geeks have become aware of our horde probably from idiots like me yapping off about our lambic supply. we still had 75s of í10 Tilquin and í09 3F Oude Gueuze this past summer í12. Golden blend is still around but Iíve been buying quite a bit of it...itís $20 a bottle here which is $10 cheaper than Bostonís price.

750s of gueuze run $16-$20 here from Tilquin, 3F and Cantillon.

This reminds me of something similar a friend posted on facebook yesterday:

So...Iím looking at a series of photos that people are posting at a place that will remain nameless: multiple bottle hoards of Pappy Van Winkle. And Iím thinking, wow, youíve got a lot of Pappy.

And then Iím thinking...YOU PEOPLE are the reason that NONE OF THE REST OF US are getting any Pappy! Jesus, why do people feel they have to own 10% of the total output of a product?

Its one thing to Hoard and Drink...
...Its another to Hoard and Flip for profit

JulienHuxley
premium
beers 4319 º places 347 º 09:47 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by randomgarbage
I was happy that our 3 Fonteinen stash stuck around on the shelves for a few years after the Cantillon wipe out. Noticed something was going on when the regular and kriek were snatched up, but someone recently bought every Schaerbeekse offered ( 4 cases @ about $250 a case). Yeah, so long 3 font. Hopefully Tilquin flies under the radar awhile longer. After that, Iíll just give up on the style.

As good as these styles can be for aging compared to other beer, itís pretty hit or miss. I really just prefer them fresh for the most part.

I gave up on buying belgian beer in the stayes because the Sheltons usually really stick it up yours and deep too. I did however find hanssens oud gueuze for dirt cheap when I was in Maine last weekend. There is hope for when Tilquin dissapears ;)

t0rin0
premium
beers 72 º places 1508 º 09:50 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by fletche00
Its one thing to Hoard and Drink...
...Its another to Hoard and Flip for profit

I dont think either of those qualify as hoarding. Real hoarding is collecting a bunch of stuff and never being able to part with it. I also dont see the problem with buying every bottle offered if you actually want to drink it.

MacBoost
premium
beers 1539 º places 25 º 10:03 Tue 6/25/2013

Once Hanssens is hoarded, game over.

DietPepsican
premium
beers 1533 º places 56 º 10:07 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by t0rin0
I also dont see the problem with buying every bottle offered if you actually want to drink it.

Yeah, I really donít care either. If I canít drink lambic for awhile while the fad peaks, Iím cool with that. Saves me the $15-$30 I spend on lambic a month.

xscottypx
beers 104 º 11:03 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by BlackIPA

its a solid gueuze that gets no love. i dont mind its lack of bubbles.

DietPepsican
premium
beers 1533 º places 56 º 11:03 Tue 6/25/2013

Just waiting for someone to buy every bottle of golden blend offered then we are out of the 3 font.

t0rin0
premium
beers 72 º places 1508 º 11:31 Tue 6/25/2013

I think the good news is that right now there arent enough people willing to (or able to) hoard that much lambic to worry about it spilling over to Hanssens, Girardin, or Tilquin. Yet.

jleblanc
beers 8 º places 5 º 13:01 Tue 6/25/2013

Originally posted by t0rin0

I think the good news is that right now there arent enough people willing to (or able to) hoard that much lambic to worry about it spilling over to Hanssens, Girardin, or Tilquin. Yet.

Girardin is gone around here.