5 favorite Wisconsin breweries

Reads 1922 • Replies 19 • Started Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:10:24 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 11:31 Mon 11/3/2014

Originally posted by tennisjoel
Originally posted by islay
New Glarus ... I think their everyday six-packs are mediocre, and Spotted Cow may be the worst flagship of any highly respected craft brewery

I’ll go against the grain here. While it doesn’t blow me away by any means, I occasionally enjoy a spotted cow. Moon Man is also one of my favorite pale ales on the planet. Two Women also is solid.

For seasonals, Dancing Man and Black Top are both great, while the coffee stout is better than average.

They make exceptional lagers, actually. Yokel is incredibly underrated, as is the Edel-Pils.

levifunk
beers 12 º 12:20 Mon 11/3/2014

Originally posted by jlruthven
Central Waters, O’so, New Glarus, Funk Factory (maybe I’m cheating), Tyranena

madvike
beers 3357 º places 3 º 12:48 Mon 11/3/2014

New Glarus, Door County, Vintage, Ale Asylum, and somebody else. I don’t know...O’so? Ask me tomorrow and it’ll be different.

tennisjoel
beers 2230 º places 53 º 13:50 Mon 11/3/2014

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
New Glarus ... I think their everyday six-packs are mediocre, and Spotted Cow may be the worst flagship of any highly respected craft brewery

I’ll go against the grain here. While it doesn’t blow me away by any means, I occasionally enjoy a spotted cow. Moon Man is also one of my favorite pale ales on the planet. Two Women also is solid.

For seasonals, Dancing Man and Black Top are both great, while the coffee stout is better than average.

They make exceptional lagers, actually. Yokel is incredibly underrated, as is the Edel-Pils.

Agreed. While I don’t have Yokel rated that high, I absolutely loved the Bohemian Lager they used to make. I’m not sure I’ve ever been able to try the Edel-Pils.

jlruthven
beers 612 º places 13 º 15:48 Mon 11/3/2014

This. Spotted Cow is a great beer; it’s just not a sour, a hop bomb, an adjunct imperial stout, it’s not barrel-aged, and it’s relatively clean and simple. Nothing wrong with that.

nuplastikk
beers 9837 º places 73 º 19:31 Mon 11/3/2014

/>2. Dave’s BrewFarm -- If it were in Vermont, we’d be seeing a lot of ISOs for its beers. As it is, people outside of Wisconsin and Minnesota don’t know it exists. I’m sad to see it soon to go away.<br /

Are you really comparing Dave’s brewfarm to Hill Farmstead?
LOL.

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 20:31 Mon 11/3/2014

Originally posted by nuplastikk
/>2. Dave’s BrewFarm -- If it were in Vermont, we’d be seeing a lot of ISOs for its beers. As it is, people outside of Wisconsin and Minnesota don’t know it exists. I’m sad to see it soon to go away.<br /

Are you really comparing Dave’s brewfarm to Hill Farmstead?
LOL.

No, I meant more that, like some other Vermont breweries that emphasize their rural roots, it could piggyback on Hill Farmstead’s success and benefit from some of the current hype around various boundaries-pushing New England breweries, many of which I’m sure are, like Dave’s BrewFarm, legitimately quite good and interesting. I’m not looking to stoke controversy (although I managed to do it a bit with my New Glarus comment as well); it was just a complimentary aside. I do think Dave brews the most consistently interesting beers of any commercial brewer with whom I’m familiar in the Upper Midwest. That’s "most interesting," not "best."

Courtneyann33
23:06 Wed 1/14/2015

New Glarus (c’mon, Staghorn is great), Vintage Brewing (love the cask ales), Karben 4 (nightcall), One Barrel (care bear blood, and you gotta love their artwork), Mke Brewing (simple, but passionate, great tours (tour guides).

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 00:14 Thu 1/15/2015

New Glarus is my favorite brewery so, yeah they top the list for me. I do like Central Waters most of the time. Once upon a time I was paying a lot more attention to the whole Wisconsin beer scene, but these days I’m so out of the loop I don’t really know what’s good and from whom. You can count me as real bummed out about the downslide for Capital, there was a time when I really dug them a lot.