70/75 styles down... Berliner Weisse, Gose & potmavy in Japan?

Reads 1541 • Replies 26 • Started Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:34:52 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8474 º places 567 º 17:34 Tue 1/28/2014

Hey guys, I just realized I’ve tried most of the beer styles on ratebeer but have 5 left. Lambic - Faro & Lambic - Unblended should be easy to pick up but I am not sure what Gose, Berliner Weisse or potmavy are available in Japan.

I think the World Beer Museum or rakuten can probably help me with the potmavy but I’ve never heard of a Japanese made Berliner Weisse or Gose. Well Hitachino’s Anbai but I’ve never heard of that being on tap anywhere in Japan so I think it is just for export...

Any advice for these three I can find in Japan or should try would be appreciated.

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 18:06 Tue 1/28/2014

Shame you’re not in the UK. There are Berliner Weisses all over the place at the moment. I got on of my Goses there too.
I only need Sahti and think I’ll struggle with that without heading to Northern Europe.
Sorry, this wasn’t much help, was it?

KyotoLefty
beers 15089 º places 1059 º 18:15 Tue 1/28/2014

Nihonkai Club makes a Polotmavy.

You can get imported German Gose and Berliner in Japan. If you don’t mind paying, go to Lorelei in the Umeda / Dojima underground. He has the latter for sure, probably the former too. And then we will also be able to read a raving review about the high prices, too! (Actually, the place is such a rip-off I have not added it, and don’t think it should be on here.)

No Sahti in Japan, I guess.

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8474 º places 567 º 18:16 Tue 1/28/2014

I had sahti during my trip to Finland + Estonia. I was not actually trying to knock all of them off but saw someone post about it so took a look & saw I was close. I’ll be in N.Am next summer so I can knock off the gose + berliner weisse then if I can’t find them in Japan. Potmavy I think I should be able to get here...

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 19:00 Tue 1/28/2014

I had Sahti in Finland, but that was in my pre-rating days. Actually, I think I enjoyed drinking more in those days.

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8474 º places 567 º 16:29 Wed 1/29/2014

Thanks for the info Kyoto Lefty, I’ll try Nihonkai Club’s trial set but it doesn’t include the polotmavy. I’ll take a look at Lorelei just to see what the place is about.

Thanks guys!

KyotoLefty
beers 15089 º places 1059 º 16:48 Wed 1/29/2014

This gose can often be found at Tanakaya, maybe even at WBM:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/original-ritterguts-gose/25639/80641/

jinroh
beers 4531 º places 5 º 22:12 Wed 1/29/2014

Sahti is not really bottled in Estonia - otherwise I could bring it from there when I go home next time. This one is my favourite: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/taako-pihtla-olu/54449/ (although I haven’t rated it here yet)

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 17:51 Thu 1/30/2014

Ah, thanks for the thought anyway Jinroh. Strangely, I came close to getting my Sahti in Poland, as one of their microbreweries makes one. Unfortunately it wasn’t available when I was there, and became available again shortly after I left. Great timing!

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8474 º places 567 º 17:54 Thu 1/30/2014

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/saku-koduolu/204753/

Is listed as a sahti, I had it when I was in Estonia last summer just 1 euro from the local supermarket. Basically it came off as a spiced beer, unlike the draft sahti I had in Finland this was carbonated. I quite liked it though.

jinroh
beers 4531 º places 5 º 18:46 Sun 2/2/2014

Yes, this Koduõlu ("home brew") from Saku (major brewery in Estonia, owned by Carlsberg) is quite close to a real sahti, I’m not sure if they used traditional methods when brewing it (probably not) but it does taste quite authentic. I think they did one batch last year, taking a bit of risk as their batches are huge - and it has a note on a label from the head brewmaster telling that he wanted to brew a beer that tastes the same way as his own father used to brew. I also quite liked it, had quite several during last summer. It might actually be possible to find it in supermarkets when I go back in mid-February for a week, it was definitely there in December during holidays. Will check :)