RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

A help or a hindrance?

read 3819 times • 93 replies • posted 10/12/2012 8:06:27 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
HogTownHarry 6129:28
"they rarely have the characteristics typical of the hops" ... Um?
10/13/2012 5:51:24 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
BenH 2505:9
Originally posted by HogTownHarry

As in the beer doesnít usually have the aroma or taste Iíd normally associate with the hops that are in it. Citra ipa and nelson pale ale being the only two exceptions I can think of. They do actually taste of the hops that are in them which is probably why they score better than the others.

You only need to look at how the scores of his beers decline as more non UK raters get their hands on them to see that they are overrated and over hyped by UK raters (particularly Londoners)
10/13/2012 6:25:27 PM

tdtm82 695:82
Again, whilst trying Kernel, you ideally HAVE to consume them at the brewery. These beers have sediment issues which is a problem but the best ones are amazing. Iíve had bad Kernel batches and inconsistent Kernel beers but they are intended for quick consumption (apart from the stouts) and should be drunk fresh. If youíve not had them fresh at the brewery then youíre missing out.
10/13/2012 6:25:59 PM

premium
Leighton 11860:638
Originally posted by BenH

As in the beer doesnít usually have the aroma or taste Iíd normally associate with the hops that are in it. Citra ipa and nelson pale ale being the only two exceptions I can think of. They do actually taste of the hops that are in them which is probably why they score better than the others.

You only need to look at how the scores of his beers decline as more non UK raters get their hands on them to see that they are overrated and over hyped by UK raters (particularly Londoners)

10/14/2012 1:02:09 AM

premium
Theydon_Bois 9930:770
Originally posted by Leighton

Checked my calendar and itís not April the 1st !?!

I guess it must hurt being nearly 400 miles from Kernel HQ !
10/14/2012 1:03:49 AM

premium
EdKing 1982:148

Iíve travelled to the Japan craft beer scene and America with Kernel beers and the reaction has been very very positive. However, itís the export stouts, breakfast stouts and porters that get the biggest ratings in those places where they already have many pales and IPAs. When I take them they are of course very fresh, so quality is guaranteed.
10/14/2012 2:50:33 AM

premium
MagicDave6 1:1
Iím afraid you are quite simply wrong in this one. You either donít understand what hops are or your getting the beers 4 years out of date.

As in the beer doesnít usually have the aroma or taste Iíd normally associate with the hops that are in it. Citra ipa and nelson pale ale being t he only two exceptions I can think of. They do actually taste of the hops that are in them which is probably why they score better than the others.

10/14/2012 2:52:31 AM

premium
EdKing 1982:148

Also, canít help noticing that your scores for The Kernel are pretty solid with quite a few 4+ aside from a few lows that seem to relate to yeast sediment which may be to do with how they are getting to you, how they are stored and freshness?
10/14/2012 3:02:45 AM

premium
Leighton 11860:638
ROFL. Loved the part where he says non-UK drinkers think The Kernel is overrated. Classic!
10/14/2012 3:24:52 AM

premium
BenH 2505:9
Like I said previously that people have kindly ignored, I think his ipas are usually of a decent standard but only occasionally great. I think his dark beers are much better, I thought the imperial stout was excellent. The point I was making is that they are overrated, not that they are bad. And we do get them fresh here, usually within a 2-3 of weeks of bottling.
10/14/2012 3:30:50 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers