RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

A help or a hindrance?

read 3683 times • 93 replies • posted 10/12/2012 8:06:27 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

premium
madmitch76 13351:125
Ben is a good guy with an unusual opinion on Kernel. Lets not beat him up.
10/14/2012 7:24:30 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
cgarvieuk 13167:151
Originally posted by madmitch76

+1
10/14/2012 7:28:01 AM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by BenH
My problem is with the yeast. I feel in his beers, the yeast retracts the hop flavour and aroma.

Iíd go with that. Guessing he uses dried (as do most brewers these days) and it does tend, if still in suspension, to blot out a lot of the hop character as yeast will do. But Iíd still say that when fresh and allowed to drop near-clear, Kernelís pale beers are what I want from a hoppy beer.

But, I acknowledge your point about the yeast and agree with you.

And congrats to a fellow Crystal malt hater, too...
10/14/2012 12:22:13 PM

premium
BenH 2014:6
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
Originally posted by madmitch76

+1

Thanks guys but I was totally expecting this response, I know Iím in the minority here

I think the bottom line is I get frustrated when I drink a kernel ipa because I think "this is good, but it could have been great". Clearly others get more enjoyment out of them than me which is fair enough.

Iíd like to try some at the brewery if you say they do taste better, Iíll need to head there when Iím next in London.
10/14/2012 3:03:44 PM

tdtm82 668:75
Keg. At brewery. Fresh. Itíll change your perception. Yes, they have very incosnistent batches at times. There are soapy batches. Ken is correct. You need to observe a period of rest for kernel beers. The export stout you need on cask which is just utterly stunning.

I know I am probably biased towards Kernel as no brewery has done more to aid my development in understanding hops. Also the brewery is run by a fantastic team so I feel very bad whilst providing negative knowledge. I like how here we can always discuss issues like this to help raise awareness.
10/14/2012 4:59:01 PM

premium
This freshness thing is too much Kings new clothes for me. Yes hops fade quicker than any other component of beer and that should be contemplated always - but this nonsense about you canít drink it if itís 5 days old and all that shite that stems from Pliny is just that - shite!
10/14/2012 5:56:32 PM

tdtm82 668:75
Itís not, Ken. Hops dry out and the beer becomes tired. This happens to a lot of imports. Pilny is good but incredibly over-hyped. Give me Ballast Point or Magic Rock Cannonball any day.
10/15/2012 8:21:54 AM

premium
Put some clothes on Thomas!
10/15/2012 9:55:48 AM

evergreen0199 1810:
Originally posted by tdtm82
Itís not, Ken. Hops dry out and the beer becomes tired. This happens to a lot of imports. Pilny is good but incredibly over-hyped. Give me Ballast Point or Magic Rock Cannonball any day.

Pliny and Ballast Point are in a totally different league to Magic Rock Cannonball!
10/15/2012 12:36:50 PM

premium
Originally posted by evergreen0199
Originally posted by tdtm82

Pliny and Ballast Point are in a totally different league to Magic Rock Cannonball!

Ok but in wbich direction are you advocating?
10/15/2012 2:06:30 PM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers