AB-Inbev and Miller-Coors to Post Ingredient Lists Online

Reads 1822 • Replies 22 • Started Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:49:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:49 Thu 6/12/2014

Link:

http://www.beerpulse.com/2014/06/anheuser-busch-inbev-says-it-will-begin-posting-product-ingredients-online/

Here’s the comment I posted there (Just prior to the news about Miller-Coors following suit, which is awesome- assuming it’s true. I can see the Budweiser and Bud Light ingredient lists on their site. The Miller-Coors link is a Facebook thing that leads to nothing, at least for me as a non-Facebook person.):

Good to see that AB-Inbev is stepping up to the plate and doing this. I’ve said for a long time that I think it should be a regulated standard for the entire beer industry just as it is with other food products. There are so many people out there who have odd allergies or very specific diets or dietary restrictions and really need to know what is going into their bodies.

I think it also could help dispel some doubts people might have. I remember buying a 12 pack of a beer which will remain anonymous and breaking out in all these itchy blotches. After a week or two, the pack was finished and the itchness was gone. Now, it probably wasn’t the beer. It could have been any number of things. But I’ve never touched that particular beer again because of it. If I could see a list of ingredients and know “Oh, hey, that’s just the same ingredients in all sorts of beers I drink”, I’d try it again in a heartbeat. On the other hand, if I saw it had an odd ingredient that I might be allergic to, I could try another food or drink with that ingredient and see how I do and whether or not it was the root cause.

I don’t know why we let brewers off the hook about providing basic information that we require soda manufactures to publish. Having alcohol in the product doesn’t reduce the need for ingredient listings and such.

Okay, back here to the ratebeer thread:

Anyone find a link to the Miller-Coors list? Anyone see anything surprising in what’s been published so far?

I noticed that there is more yeast than hops in the two Bud flagship products. Is that unusual, or about what we expected?

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 17:57 Thu 6/12/2014

"I noticed that there is more yeast than hops in the two Bud flagship products. Is that unusual, or about what we expected?"

Was able to get a hold of the Miller-Coors list through a website that embedded the post. The beers they list had the same thing, yeast above hops. So, same question there.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 18:02 Thu 6/12/2014

Everything disclosed so far by both companies is water, barley malt, either corn or rice, yeast, and hops, in that order, except for Blue Moon Belgian White, which is water, barley malt, wheat, oats, yeast, hops, and orange peel and coriander.

Interestingly, no corn or rice in Blue Moon. Guess it really is an adjunct-free beer in the sense of adjuncts intended to bring down cost, unless one wants to put oats in that category, which I wouldn’t. There are plenty of craft oatmeal stouts.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 18:07 Thu 6/12/2014

This is the place that embedded the Miller-Coors link, in case anyone else can’t get into the Facebook page:

http://www.naturalnews.com/045547_MillerCoors_beer_ingredients_corn_syrup.html

Hopefully we’ll see full disclosures of ingredients on all their beers from both companies and from the big craft and regional or heritage breweries and contract brewers soon. Preferably, this stuff would also be on the labels, but this is a good first step.

Miller-Coors should also probably move to putting the information on their actual websites. Not everyone has a Facebook profile or wants to Facebook friend all the major beer brands (Employers and potential employers check out people’s profiles routinely, you know). Also, Facebook posts get buried under more recent posts. Just put it on a www site everyone can access that’s a steady link as AB-Inbev is doing.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 18:17 Thu 6/12/2014

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
"I noticed that there is more yeast than hops in the two Bud flagship products. Is that unusual, or about what we expected?"

Was able to get a hold of the Miller-Coors list through a website that embedded the post. The beers they list had the same thing, yeast above hops. So, same question there.

Expected. None of the macros use real hops, they use intrinsic amounts of liquefied hop extract.

Going back to your original point: yes, I think breweries should have to list their ingredients. There have always been those who list the "malt, hops, yeast, water" that are found in all beer, but any additions beyond that should be listed, by law.

Drjohnrock
beers 1292 º places 67 º 07:43 Fri 6/13/2014

I think AB-Inbev and Miller-Coors aren’t coming completely clean because they didn’t list the horse piss.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 07:46 Fri 6/13/2014

All alcohol products should be required to list calories per serving as well.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 07:53 Fri 6/13/2014

Another issue for the bilateral US-EU trade agreement: as opposed to in the US, in DE (and I suppose in the whole of the EU) ingredients in beer have to be listed on the label.

I do appreciate knowing which of the big German macropilseners use extract instead of, or on top of, real hops.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 08:11 Fri 6/13/2014

Originally posted by HonkeyBra

I’d rather be blissfully ignorant.

radagast83
beers 12370 º places 427 º 11:00 Fri 6/13/2014

Originally posted by HonkeyBra
I would imagine that the Craft Beer bubble could burst and lead to the Second Great Craft Beer Crash where breweries incapable of making things other than sugary, +9% beers suddenly find themselves with fewer customers. I mean, even a standard craft beer is usually close to 200 (or more) calories per beer.

Or... lower alcohol (and hopefully lower calorie) flavorful, lower-alcohol "session" beers would become more the norm. I could get behind this.