AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25427 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Reid
beers 3523 º places 95 º 23:21 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
So who here would drink a sub-par caramel malt IPA brewed by the local place over a much better IPA brewed by a brewery owned by AB?

Honestly, if you would pick the former, you are why I and so many people have to wade through crap just to find something decent, and why I will buy a product that I KNOW I will enjoy rather than taking a risk on something that may very well be terrible.

Quit rewarding shitty brewers just because they are "local". Sure, I love the idea of it, but I also really love drinking good beer.

OI cant think of a bad brewer in my area..really cant.
There must be some crap were you are, why?

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 23:22 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by Hair
Originally posted by pepsican
You said they stopped high quality breweries from selling product.

No, I didn’t.

And we are done here

obguthr
beers 11653 º places 22 º 23:22 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by obguthr
Craft distributors have to exist or else A-B only sells bud? Beer that is awesome isn’t going to sell based on just being awesome? What part of the beer pulse do you guys have a finger on? It’s really strange compared to the overall market.

So you think AB distributors will willingly sell "beer that is awesome" when no one else is? Give me a sip of what you’re drinking.

Yeah dude make and distribute a beer on the level of beers you mentioned like HF and alchemist and let me know when people don’t buy it. I’ll gladly just drink that "garbage".

We’re not talking about making a few bucks selling growlers of neat beer out of a garage. Any brewer with talent can do that. I’m talking about getting your product distributed so that you can grow and make some real money. Getting to where breweries like Stone are today is impossible without craft distributors.

Oh Stone! And who sells stone in my area? The Miller/Coors house. In a refrigerated truck, from a refrigerated warehouse, with enjoy by coming a few days after being bottled. Love it! I do hate that the go to IPA is $11 a 6 pack but if you want a session IPA the miller/coors house has founders as well, and a 15 pack of the session IPA is $14.99 and usually within 2 weeks of being canned. We probably sell 30 of those a week and I’ve yet to see it more than 3 weeks from brew date in the store since they dropped the price. Not bad for $1 a can.

Counterpoint: In my state, Stone is distributed by two distributors, both are craft houses. I guarantee that if these two companies didn’t exist, no one would here would know a damn thing about Stone. They certainly wouldn’t be building their east coast brewery here either.

Reid
beers 3523 º places 95 º 23:22 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by Reid
Craft distributors have to exist or else A-B only sells bud? Beer that is awesome isn’t going to sell based on just being awesome? What part of the beer pulse do you guys have a finger on? It’s really strange compared to the overall market.

So you think AB distributors will willingly sell "beer that is awesome" when no one else is? Give me a sip of what you’re drinking.

Yeah dude make and distribute a beer on the level of beers you mentioned like HF and alchemist and let me know when people don’t buy it. I’ll gladly just drink that "garbage".

We’re not talking about making a few bucks selling growlers of neat beer out of a garage. Any brewer with talent can do that. I’m talking about getting your product distributed so that you can grow and make some real money. Getting to where breweries like Stone are today is impossible without craft distributors.

Oh Stone! And who sells stone in my area? The Miller/Coors house. In a refrigerated truck, from a refrigerated warehouse, with enjoy by coming a few days after being bottled. Love it! I do hate that the go to IPA is $11 a 6 pack but if you want a session IPA the miller/coors house has founders as well, and a 15 pack of the session IPA is $14.99 and usually within 2 weeks of being canned. We probably sell 30 of those a week and I’ve yet to see it more than 3 weeks from brew date in the store since they dropped the price. Not bad for $1 a can.

But dont you think that MIller/Coors would love to get rid of those stupid micros and just truck in skids of Coors Light like the good old days?
The reason they cant is because people like us.

They make money either way, so no. They can’t sell just one product, they know this. To think they’re ignorant of what’s going on in the bier world is hilarious.

So why do they want to supress? Why do they( AB) send shitty Goose Island 6 packs to Oregon they must know they wont sell?
Because they CAN

Reid
beers 3523 º places 95 º 23:23 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Lol.. no, I’m pretty sure I get beer entirely.

It’s the Homers and Advocates like you that don’t get it..

Whatever better ban me dude.
You support the homogenization of beer if you support AB inbev over all craft beer.

Hair
beers 3 º places 5 º 23:24 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by Hair
You said they stopped high quality breweries from selling product.

No, I didn’t.

And we are done here

AGAIN, I said they "suppress small breweries". They do. You have been given several examples. I never said they "prevented them from selling product" like you say I did. THEY JUST MAKE IT HARDER. Look at the image you posted and read it. You just proved my case.

Reid
beers 3523 º places 95 º 23:25 Fri 1/23/2015

I think some on here are too young to remember the bad old days.
We fought like f*ck for our local brewers..your heroes fought like fuck against

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 23:25 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Lol.. no, I’m pretty sure I get beer entirely.

It’s the Homers and Advocates like you that don’t get it..

Whatever better ban me dude.
You support the homogenization of beer if you support AB inbev over all craft beer.

Definition of a Madbro post..

Are you upset people have proved your stance wrong over and over?

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 23:26 Fri 1/23/2015

Keep posting, Reid.. I’m sure it’ll gain cohesion soon..

CLevar
places 23 º 23:26 Fri 1/23/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
So who here would drink a sub-par caramel malt IPA brewed by the local place over a much better IPA brewed by a brewery owned by AB?

Honestly, if you would pick the former, you are why I and so many people have to wade through crap just to find something decent, and why I will buy a product that I KNOW I will enjoy rather than taking a risk on something that may very well be terrible.

Quit rewarding shitty brewers just because they are "local". Sure, I love the idea of it, but I also really love drinking good beer.

OI cant think of a bad brewer in my area..really cant.
There must be some crap were you are, why?

If you are indicating that every beer brewed in your area is above average, you most likely don’t understand statistics.

I love it when I can find a local beer that is great, or a beer brewed by the little new guy that is great. And when that happens, I happily belly up to the bar and buy said beer. But I also recognize that many of the beers brewed locally or otherwise are not great. Being "local" and "craft" is not synonymous with "good". And again, I want to drink GOOD beer.