AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25525 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:19 Fri 7/24/2015

Originally posted by obguthr
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
the story that wont die

Dick joins the Brewers Association
http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/dick-cantwell-named-quality-ambassadress-for-brewers-association/

Six months and still getting bumped.

Yeah, this is more Cantwell’s story now than the story of ABI/EBC. But no doubt Cantwell can offer something unique as that ambassador, because everyone he speaks to and consults with knows he turned down millions so he could say he doesn’t work for a big industrial macro. That’s a very small club of brewers who can say that.

Even brewers who have no intention of producing 35 different pumpkin beers will have to listen.

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 17:22 Sat 7/25/2015

Originally posted by michcam8
reid - any thoughts on this new development?

Just happy for Dick, top class guy
Also wondering why A-B have stopped buying, at the time I thought this was going to be a major threat.
Maybe hasn’t gone as planned?
Too much people saw through the BS?

poisoneddwarf
beers 5613 º places 26 º 01:36 Sun 7/26/2015

I know Goose Island IPA 1/6 barrel kegs are going for only $35 lately. That’s about half the price of a Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale keg of the same size. Shock Top 1/6 barrels are going for the same price. I know Shock Top is trying to push Blue Moon out of the market, that’s obvious. Goose IPA seems to have taken the place of many local IPAs where I live. I used to deliver a couple kegs of Laughing Dog IPA to the local Chili’s here in CDA, ID, every week. They replaced it with Goose for half the price, and why wouldn’t they? Most Chili’s customers aren’t there for brand loyalty, or even local loyalty. They’re just there to enjoy a beer with their meal. It’s not just Chili’s either. More than half the accounts on my route have switched to Shock Top from Blue Moon and it’s even more drastic for Goose. Every non-craft-centric establishment that has an IPA has switched whatever they were offering (at least half of these were local breweries) to Goose IPA. Even craft beer havens have flirted with fucking Shock Top and Goose IPA. And then I read on here and other websites how it’s not all that bad, it’s just business, etc, etc. Really?

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 02:06 Sun 7/26/2015

Originally posted by poisoneddwarf
I know Goose Island IPA 1/6 barrel kegs are going for only $35 lately. That’s about half the price of a Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale keg of the same size. Shock Top 1/6 barrels are going for the same price. I know Shock Top is trying to push Blue Moon out of the market, that’s obvious. Goose IPA seems to have taken the place of many local IPAs where I live. I used to deliver a couple kegs of Laughing Dog IPA to the local Chili’s here in CDA, ID, every week. They replaced it with Goose for half the price, and why wouldn’t they? Most Chili’s customers aren’t there for brand loyalty, or even local loyalty. They’re just there to enjoy a beer with their meal. It’s not just Chili’s either. More than half the accounts on my route have switched to Shock Top from Blue Moon and it’s even more drastic for Goose. Every non-craft-centric establishment that has an IPA has switched whatever they were offering (at least half of these were local breweries) to Goose IPA. Even craft beer havens have flirted with fucking Shock Top and Goose IPA. And then I read on here and other websites how it’s not all that bad, it’s just business, etc, etc. Really?

That sucks.
I thought Idaho was like Oregon when it comes to love of local.

Beerdrinker79
beers 2189 º places 7 º 02:20 Sun 7/26/2015

What’s funny is nobody want’s these beers, the bars are just buying them because how can you turn down a 35 dollar 1/6 bbl. But that doesn’t mean people walk in there and want that beer. No champion of Blue Moon, but it has it’s fans, and people walk in a place and ask for a Blue Moon, the waitress says we don’t have that, we have Shock Top, some people might say okay, and get that, but from what i hear the Shock Top barrels are going unloved. It’s just a market grab from AB/Inbev, wait it out, they can’t lose money on every barrel for too long, once the price goes back up and the sticker shock sets in, most will revert back to what the customers want.

poisoneddwarf
beers 5613 º places 26 º 02:36 Sun 7/26/2015

Most fools who like Blue Moon will definitely settle for Shock Top. I know there are exceptions, but most people don’t know or don’t care that Shcck Top is a thin disguise for AB/InBev.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:18 Sun 7/26/2015

That’s sad to hear bc I think AB can keep losing money on GI and Shock Top for a long time. Blue Moon could take the heat but it’s harder for breweries that have lost their IPA tap handles to AB’s GI.

michcam8
beers 593 º places 34 º 19:34 Sun 7/26/2015

Saw this on FB and thought relevant to recent comments on this thread:

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 19:46 Sun 7/26/2015

Dam son! $35 for a 1/6th barrel is pretty damn good. Goose Island IPA and Shock Top aren’t that great of beers though. If they’d do the All Purpose IPA for that, I’d be down.

Curious to see how low prices will go with some of these takeovers. Think of Duvel-Moortgat. They now have a brewery in the midwest, east coast, and on the west coast. If they can brew boulevard, Ommegang, and firestone at all three plants, they’d save $3-4 per case on freight alone.

Seeing as how a lot of the bigger american beer companies are starting second/third breweries and they’re getting closer to 1 million+ barrels, it could start beer trending cheaper as these guys fight it out for space.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 20:15 Sun 7/26/2015

Originally posted by michcam8
Saw this on FB and thought relevant to recent comments on this thread:

that map is based on beermenus listings, which are not a very valid or reliable source.