AB just bought Elysian, thoughts?

Reads 25524 • Replies 395 • Started Friday, January 23, 2015 11:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

obguthr
beers 11684 º places 22 º 13:25 Mon 7/27/2015

Originally posted by michcam8
Saw this on FB and thought relevant to recent comments on this thread:

Who knew Oberon was so popular in Necktucky? That was really the only surprising thing on the whole map.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:24 Mon 7/27/2015

Originally posted by obguthr
Who knew Oberon was so popular in Necktucky? That was really the only surprising thing on the whole map.

its more likely that only the craft bars update beermenus, so Oberon seems like its more common than macro stuff.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 15:31 Mon 7/27/2015

Originally posted by DietPepsican
Originally posted by poisoneddwarf
I know Goose Island IPA 1/6 barrel kegs are going for only $35 lately. That’s about half the price of a Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada Pale keg of the same size. Shock Top 1/6 barrels are going for the same price. I know Shock Top is trying to push Blue Moon out of the market, that’s obvious. Goose IPA seems to have taken the place of many local IPAs where I live. I used to deliver a couple kegs of Laughing Dog IPA to the local Chili’s here in CDA, ID, every week. They replaced it with Goose for half the price, and why wouldn’t they? Most Chili’s customers aren’t there for brand loyalty, or even local loyalty. They’re just there to enjoy a beer with their meal. It’s not just Chili’s either. More than half the accounts on my route have switched to Shock Top from Blue Moon and it’s even more drastic for Goose. Every non-craft-centric establishment that has an IPA has switched whatever they were offering (at least half of these were local breweries) to Goose IPA. Even craft beer havens have flirted with fucking Shock Top and Goose IPA. And then I read on here and other websites how it’s not all that bad, it’s just business, etc, etc. Really?

Dam son! $35 for a 1/6th barrel is pretty damn good. Goose Island IPA and Shock Top aren’t that great of beers though. If they’d do the All Purpose IPA for that, I’d be down.

Curious to see how low prices will go with some of these takeovers. Think of Duvel-Moortgat. They now have a brewery in the midwest, east coast, and on the west coast. If they can brew boulevard, Ommegang, and firestone at all three plants, they’d save $3-4 per case on freight alone.

Seeing as how a lot of the bigger american beer companies are starting second/third breweries and they’re getting closer to 1 million+ barrels, it could start beer trending cheaper as these guys fight it out for space.

If the price savings only comes from not paying the cost of trucks to haul their beer around, this is rad.

If it gets harder for smaller breweries to profit, and they start looking for buyouts to save their bottom lines, then it’s a much scarier proposition.

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

its more likely that only the craft bars update beermenus, so Oberon seems like its more common than macro stuff.
This is exactly it; the original article ( http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/these-are-most-likely-beers-be-menus-every-state) specifically mentioned that they received their info from Beermenus.

Obviously, that’s a pretty craft-centric source for your information, especially when asking the question "What’s the most common beer on tap in ________"

Just more poor reporting. KY is still very much a BMC ruled state, though things are getting better here.

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 16:10 Mon 7/27/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

This is exactly it; the original article ( http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/these-are-most-likely-beers-be-menus-every-state) specifically mentioned that they received their info from Beermenus.

Obviously, that’s a pretty craft-centric source for your information, especially when asking the question "What’s the most common beer on tap in ________"

Just more poor reporting. KY is still very much a BMC ruled state, though things are getting better here.

Not even surprised at Coors Light in Oregon..most craft centric bars or even breweries if they have a "macro" on tap for those who like that sort of stuff will have Coors Light..rarely see Bud Light unless its a macro sports bar place

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 18:18 Mon 7/27/2015

Cool map.

What’s up with West Virginia and Magic Hat?

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 18:23 Mon 7/27/2015

that map is based on beermenus listings, which are not a very valid or reliable source.

+1

Oberon is a seasonal out-of-state beer, and yet is somehow most likely to be on a menu in KY...

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 18:33 Mon 7/27/2015

DFH Pale Ale? They dont even do Shelter any more do they?

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 18:35 Mon 7/27/2015

Originally posted by sloth
DFH Pale Ale? They dont even do Shelter any more do they?

60 minute i suppose.