RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Adding bittering hops along the way

read 293 times • 3 replies • posted 9/20/2012 11:20:15 AM

Thread Frozen

beerinmeear 1
The White House honey porter recipe says add 1/2 the bittering hops at 15 minutes, and the rest at 30 minutes (in a 1-hr boil extract recipe). I thoought the whole point of a 1-hr boil was that the bittering hops needed that long to impart bitterness- am I missing something? I learned to homebrew over 20 years ago so maybe there has been something new on this since then . . .
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
JoeMcPhee 8210:502
No - you’re right, they’re wrong.
9/20/2012 11:24:51 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Unclerudy 12:3
You do get bitterness from hops any time in the boil, but the isomerization is most effective the longer you boil hops. I have made very bitter IPAs with massive additions of high alpha hops late in the boil. The time is just to raise your efficiency.

But they are probably wrong.
9/20/2012 11:31:07 AM

NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by beerinmeear
The White House honey porter recipe says add 1/2 the bittering hops at 15 minutes, and the rest at 30 minutes (in a 1-hr boil extract recipe). I thoought the whole point of a 1-hr boil was that the bittering hops needed that long to impart bitterness- am I missing something? I learned to homebrew over 20 years ago so maybe there has been something new on this since then . . .

The boil does more than isomerize the hops; it also will aid in coagulation of proteins and other reactions that occur in the boil. With that being said, the hop additions are probably fine with their recipe. You can get specific profiles that are dependent on the length that they are in the kettle.
9/20/2012 12:53:37 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add