RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Adding Grapefruit to Beer

read 3707 times • 17 replies • posted 11/24/2012 12:08:00 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
CLevar 376:10
So a while back Matsciguy and I pushed a keg of sour through a few quartered grapefruit jammed in a hoprocket. It was amazing, and while I donít have another keg of sour sitting around to do this to, I do have ten gallons of a Brett b Trois pale ale with a ton of motueka hops in it that I think would take well to some grapefruit.

When I have added grapefruit zest in the past ("dry" hop), I have not been overly impressed, as I thought it got a bit to resiny/waxy, and didnít have the bright grapefruit flavor I was looking for. SO, what I am wondering is this: Has anyone ever just chunked up grapefruit and added them to the secondary for a few days or a week?

Thanks!

Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Gription79 2235:51
I added lemon in secondary to a Berliner Weisse. I removed all of the rind and pith then sliced and froze the lemon before adding it. I found that a little went a long way. The lemon character was good, but the citric acid was out of place and I found the beer hard to drink.

11/24/2012 1:54:35 PM

Private message send the author a private message

brewtopian 2:
A local brewery in my neck of the woods added grapefruit zest to their Golden Ale and it was fantastic. Iím trying to talk them into putting it into regular production but they canít figure out how to get so much zest for a full run.
11/24/2012 3:24:58 PM

premium
Originally posted by brewtopian
A local brewery in my neck of the woods added grapefruit zest to their Golden Ale and it was fantastic. Iím trying to talk them into putting it into regular production but they canít figure out how to get so much zest for a full run.

I think I want to get more acidity out of the fruit itself, and donít think the zest alone will accomplish what I am shooting for.
11/24/2012 3:35:50 PM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Jamil had a grapefruit IPA a while ago, but it didnít turn out so well. The recipe became unavailable.

The local Rock Bottom did a grapefruit IPA (zested) and it was pretty spectacular.
11/24/2012 4:32:04 PM

DA 1
I added grapefruit juice to a beer a while back, it came out ok, not quite as bright and floral as when I used zest, but still very fruity. The only problem I had was I used a white grapefruit juice that was pretty pithy and bitter, the red grapefruit juice would have been a better choice.
11/24/2012 5:30:53 PM

brewtopian 2:
We did a beer brunch last New Years Day and one of the beer cocktails I served was Tank 7 Saison from Boulevard with just a splash of grapefruit juice. It was sooo good. I think I drank a gallon of them that day.
11/24/2012 7:18:52 PM

oteyj 2130:14
Ever tried ruby red at the end of your boil?
11/25/2012 1:19:58 PM

premium
Originally posted by oteyj
Ever tried ruby red at the end of your boil?

Nope.
11/25/2012 1:21:02 PM

oteyj 2130:14
As long as you donít over do it, it should give you really nice accents. Also drops the pH of your wort, making your beers super soft and crisp.
11/25/2012 2:03:45 PM

premium
Originally posted by oteyj
As long as you donít over do it, it should give you really nice accents. Also drops the pH of your wort, making your beers super soft and crisp.

Unfortunately, this beer is already done fermenting. 5 gal will get 2 oz of motueka for 5 days or so, and the other 5 is what I want to add grapefruit to.
11/25/2012 2:06:21 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add