Aging Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot...?

Reads 1065 • Replies 19 • Started Tuesday, October 4, 2016 9:15:59 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Originally posted by DuffMan
Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Is it bottle conditioned? That might make some kind of difference, no?

I will preface this by saying I am NOT an expert! But my take on cellaring beers is pretty simple. Basically you are experimenting with oxidation, or "staleness" if you want to use a derogatory synonym. So whether there is yeast in the bottle or not will make little difference in my mind, if we are talking about long term aging. In the short term, bottled yeast will impart their own character to a beer, which will include various esters, possibly phenols, and certainly increased carbonation. But over the long term, the yeast will die and succumb to the oxidative process. Once again, this will have various effects, more often negative than positive in my experience, but you can never be certain.

I think it’s sufficient to say be prepared for something different than the fresh version, but whether it’s "good different" or "bad different" will depend on the beer itself and your own personal preferences. There are many people who think aging beer is a waste of time (and beer!), but I still think it’s an interesting and educating enterprise. Although I fully admit my enthusiasm has changed considerably with experience, and I’m much more selective about which beers I’ll try aging/cellaring.
Hmm. Paging CLevar!

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 18:34 Tue 10/4/2016

I will preface this by saying I am NOT an expert! But my take on cellaring beers is pretty simple. Basically you are experimenting with oxidation, or "staleness" if you want to use a derogatory synonym. So whether there is yeast in the bottle or not will make little difference in my mind, if we are talking about long term aging. In the short term, bottled yeast will impart their own character to a beer, which will include various esters, possibly phenols, and certainly increased carbonation. But over the long term, the yeast will die and succumb to the oxidative process. Once again, this will have various effects, more often negative than positive in my experience, but you can never be certain.

I think it’s sufficient to say be prepared for something different than the fresh version, but whether it’s "good different" or "bad different" will depend on the beer itself and your own personal preferences. There are many people who think aging beer is a waste of time (and beer!), but I still think it’s an interesting and educating enterprise. Although I fully admit my enthusiasm has changed considerably with experience, and I’m much more selective about which beers I’ll try aging/cellaring.
Hmm. Paging CLevar!

Is CLevar our RB expert on aging beers? If so, then I’d love to hear his input! How long will yeast continue to impart character due to metabolic activity would be the top question on my list! I’m guessing a lot has to do with storage temperature?

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 18:40 Tue 10/4/2016

Yep, 54F, steady temp, minimal light intrusion is all desired/required if at all possible.

Hmm. Paging CLevar!

Is CLevar our RB expert on aging beers? If so, then I’d love to hear his input! How long will yeast continue to impart character due to metabolic activity would be the top question on my list! I’m guessing a lot has to do with storage temperature?
I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe he has some sort of chemistry background.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 19:23 Tue 10/4/2016

Originally posted by after4ever
I’d actually have to say that live beers tend to generate more interest as they age. Yeast really does matter.

Pleasantly controlled oxidation (big English ales, I’m talking to YOU) matters a lot, too, but live beasties doing their business make a huge difference. Same as with wine.

agree

Samuel214
beers 5216 º places 27 º 08:05 Sat 10/22/2016

Thanks for all replies!

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 08:13 Sat 10/22/2016

Originally posted by Samuel214
Thanks for all replies!

if you do it, let us know the results!

humlelala
beers 1377 º places 89 º 08:15 Sat 10/22/2016

At the risk of bringing the thread into OT territory. What’s the RB ’consenus’ on aging beers like O’Hanlon’s Thomas Hardy or Struise’s Pannepot Gran Reserva?

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 12:25 Sat 10/22/2016

Originally posted by after4ever
Yep, 54F, steady temp, minimal light intrusion is all desired/required if at all possible.

So, the beers I am aging in my garage in Texas???