Aging

Reads 1475 • Replies 25 • Started Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:32:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheBeerSommelier
05:37 Thu 6/27/2013

I must be a real anomaly. I’ve had exponentially more successes than failures in cellaring.

But not only do I really enjoy muted, rounder edges, but cellar in fairly ideal conditions. I also have lots of years of experience, so have learned from quite a few mistakes.

The trick is in learning what to age and what not.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 07:35 Thu 6/27/2013

I’m likely done cellaring beer, at least without some beautiful "come look at this" cellar just to show off my stuff. I’ve not enjoyed any beer I’ve aged more than fresh with the exception of Brown Shugga so far.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 07:42 Thu 6/27/2013

I’m losing my hair and find that sometimes it takes a little longer to recover from strenuous effort. It sucks.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 09:45 Thu 6/27/2013

Originally posted by TheBeerSommelier

I must be a real anomaly. I’ve had exponentially more successes than failures in cellaring.

But not only do I really enjoy muted, rounder edges, but cellar in fairly ideal conditions. I also have lots of years of experience, so have learned from quite a few mistakes.

The trick is in learning what to age and what not.

I agree with this. I’d also add that I haven’t had many beers "ruined" by aging, but a number have not changed for the better and thus have proven to be time wasted in the aging process, but not time wasted in the ultimate enjoyment process (i.e. they are still enjoyable, just not as good as when they were fresh). A small few have spoiled, a number have failed to improve or have flattened out for the worse, but a majority have become more enjoyable, and have matured to offer a different complexity. That’s just my experience (I’ve been cellaring beers in a non-pro way for close to seven years-- still learning!).

jmikolich
beers 1486 º places 112 º 09:53 Thu 6/27/2013

At some point you have to define aging versus just having more beer than you can drink in a timely manner. If you’re buying a bottle of 3 Font. Geuze to put in a box in the closet for 8 years to find out what it tastes like, sure thats aging.

If you buy KBS in the spring and don’t get to it until November because its hot and you don’t feel like drinking BA Stouts, thats just having more beer to drink.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 10:29 Thu 6/27/2013

some beers don’t get terrible with age, most do though, and the ones that don’t get terrible don’t get better, they just don’t get terrible.

don’t age beer. drink it as fresh as possible. the end

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 10:32 Thu 6/27/2013

Originally posted by drowland
I’m losing my hair and find that sometimes it takes a little longer to recover from strenuous effort. It sucks.

As a RB vet, I’d think you’d take your posts and time here a little more seriously.

SrSilliGose
beers 3351 º places 252 º 11:45 Thu 6/27/2013

they don’t call it a rotbox for nothing

jimmack
beers 1223 º places 24 º 13:22 Thu 6/27/2013

Most of the beers I have aged throughout the years were by mistake. My cellar has always been a mess with no real order and every once in a while I will find a beer that I bought/traded for years ago and totally forgot about. The results were not unexpectedly hit or miss.

Aurelius
beers 7042 º places 217 º 19:55 Thu 6/27/2013

I find that over time the flavors generally drift more towards vanilla, you get a flocculent protein drop in what would have ordinarily been clear beer, and there’s a general cakiness that gets applied. That’s *IF* the beer has been protected from light. Otherwise, it’s skunkasswater.