All Cantillon & 3 Fonteinen pulled from Ebay

Reads 53926 • Replies 369 • Started Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 18:20 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by SamGamgee
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by ajcobb24
Alright so, regarding the legality of trading beer, there are 2 things to consider: (1) the legality of shipping and (2) the legality of trading. As we all know it is a federal offense to ship via USPS and prohibited via FedEx and UPS. Alright, so just lie an we’re Scott-free right? Well, there’s that matter of taxable income from your trade (considered barter by IRS). Market value is assigned to all products/services in a barter and you get to pay taxes on that! Don’t feel like doing that? Well that’s technically a crime my friend. Will you get away with it? Probably, but that doesn’t change the legality of not paying taxes on the products you get in a barter. Additionally, sites that facilitate this bartering must report it to the IRS. Looks like we’ve hit another legality snag, gentleman. Looks like the Alstroms don’t get to take the moral high ground here.

Neither site seems to fit the IRS definition of a barter exchange. Out of curiosity, why the crusade?

You should see his incessant berating on twitter!

I think I’ll have to pass.

ajcobb24
beers 20 º 18:30 Mon 7/30/2012

The crusade is due to the hypocrisy in condemning of eBay sales by such individuals as the Alstroms, while at the same time facilitating another practice that is of questionable legality. I am against neither beer trading or eBay, but wanted to point out that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 18:36 Mon 7/30/2012

The crusade is due to the hypocrisy in condemning of eBay sales by such individuals as the Alstroms, while at the same time facilitating another practice that is of questionable legality. I am against neither beer trading or eBay, but wanted to point out that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

But don’t forget that selling beer on ebay was already against their own policies and a loophole was being exploited. You can’t blame them for eventually wising up to the legal liability that they have been incurring for some time.

The same argument is much harder to make for sites that facilitate trading, as the overwhelmingly dominant issue here is the selling of beer without a license/paying taxes. The shipping part is much less of an issue.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 18:39 Mon 7/30/2012

Another question, if you are offended by a group of people not affiliated with this site, why are you choosing this forum to air your grievances? It really seems quite petty. In the end, how does any of this affect you in a real and meaningful way?

ajcobb24
beers 20 º 18:51 Mon 7/30/2012

I aired my grievances with them already, publicly. Not afraid to do so. In the end, beer trading is as questionable as eBaying. That’s the only point I was trying to make. Trading is based off the same system of assigning an inflated dollar value to a rare beer to get more value in a trade. I thought it was hypocritical for BA to be against one while not the other. They aren’t against beer trading I argue because it drives web traffic to their site -> making them money.

Same can be said about the qualms brewmasters have with eBaying of beers. Why have a rare release at all then? They thrive off of the press received off of these events. That’s why they do them.

I am all for breweries transitioning to a system where the rare, experimental beers are served in the tap room and if liked released on a wide scale. Brewers are part of the problem and use eBayers as a scapegoat to bemoan the perversion of the aftermarket value of their beers.

(A side note, would have talked about the Alstroms on a BA thread about eBay if there was one. They deleted the only one that existed yesterday.)

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 19:05 Mon 7/30/2012

I aired my grievances with them already, publicly. Not afraid to do so. In the end, beer trading is as questionable as eBaying. That’s the only point I was trying to make. Trading is based off the same system of assigning an inflated dollar value to a rare beer to get more value in a trade. I thought it was hypocritical for BA to be against one while not the other. They aren’t against beer trading I argue because it drives web traffic to their site -> making them money.

Same can be said about the qualms brewmasters have with eBaying of beers. Why have a rare release at all then? They thrive off of the press received off of these events. That’s why they do them.

I am all for breweries transitioning to a system where the rare, experimental beers are served in the tap room and if liked released on a wide scale. Brewers are part of the problem and use eBayers as a scapegoat to bemoan the perversion of the aftermarket value of their beers.

(A side note, would have talked about the Alstroms on a BA thread about eBay if there was one. They deleted the only one that existed yesterday.)

So really, this entire discussion is rsimply you sticking your chest out and pumping your own ego because of a perceived hypocrisy of people not associated woth tbis site? Again, how does any of this cause you any real and/or meaningful harm?

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 19:14 Mon 7/30/2012

Big Cheese, I think the moral of his story is the pompous, self-righteous attitude that the BA administrators have. Not so much a source of contention IMO, as it is a compliment to the open-mindedness of our site. And to be fair to him, he might be airing his frustrations out on RB because he’s censored on the other site. Lord knows that’s why I left :)

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 19:24 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by b3shine
Big Cheese, I think the moral of his story is the pompous, self-righteous attitude that the BA administrators have. Not so much a source of contention IMO, as it is a compliment to the open-mindedness of our site. And to be fair to him, he might be airing his frustrations out on RB because he’s censored on the other site. Lord knows that’s why I left :)

You’re missing the point. Why are we even bitching about BA in a thread not even remotely related to that site? With all due respect, and for the record I don’t use that site, the bashing gets old and is simply petty and juvenile.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 19:26 Mon 7/30/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
You’re missing the point. Why are we even bitching about BA in a thread not even remotely related to that site? With all due respect, and for the record I don’t use that site, the bashing gets old and is simply petty and juvenile.

If that was your point, I can agree with it.

ajcobb24
beers 20 º 19:32 Mon 7/30/2012

My point in posting was not to go after them specifically, but to use them as an example of the widespread hypocritical attitude toward eBay and beer trading in general that brewers and bigwigs in the craft beer community have. Why does everything have to be about ego? Why can’t I just be pointing something out. In debates, people use examples. That is all this is. No hidden crusade here. I also repeat - THEY DELETED THIS TOPIC ON THEIR FORUM. Only place to discuss the Bay is here.