All Cantillon & 3 Fonteinen pulled from Ebay

Reads 53929 • Replies 369 • Started Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:36:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OldStyleCubFan
beers 77 º places 15 º 17:40 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by joet
This has been our policy from the beginning of the forums.

It’s been the rule because we don’t want to be implicated in criminal activity. We don’t have the law department that eBay does.

You’ve posted a number of times about how this is a victory for craft beer. I’m curious how you rationalize the sale of beer on ebay is harmful but trading and ratings on your site is not. Beer trading has changed & I think the current state of trading really caused people to move to ebay. I basically stopped trading because I found it easier to buy beers I wanted on ebay vs. trading for them. I often purchased those beers with bottles I sold.

Ebay didn’t cause the circus around Pliny the Young, the insanity around Dark Lord Day, the quick rise of the hoarding of Hill Farmstead, or the Cantillon fandom -- Ratebeer and Beer Advocate bear the brunt of the responsible.

Joet, I’m curious why brewers should stop at ebay? Shouldn’t they work to have their beers ’pulled’ from RB and BA as well if they truly want to remove this element for craft beer?

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 17:48 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by miketd
I’m not much for online forums either, I’d much rather call someone an asshole to their face.

b3shine likes this.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 17:50 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by TooManyBeers
We made it to page 20

Yeah, 2/3 of the way to an EPIC thread.

JLLSU
beers 238 º places 1 º 17:59 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by OldStyleCubFan
Originally posted by joet
This has been our policy from the beginning of the forums.

It’s been the rule because we don’t want to be implicated in criminal activity. We don’t have the law department that eBay does.

You’ve posted a number of times about how this is a victory for craft beer. I’m curious how you rationalize the sale of beer on ebay is harmful but trading and ratings on your site is not. Beer trading has changed & I think the current state of trading really caused people to move to ebay. I basically stopped trading because I found it easier to buy beers I wanted on ebay vs. trading for them. I often purchased those beers with bottles I sold.

Ebay didn’t cause the circus around Pliny the Young, the insanity around Dark Lord Day, the quick rise of the hoarding of Hill Farmstead, or the Cantillon fandom -- Ratebeer and Beer Advocate bear the brunt of the responsible.

Joet, I’m curious why brewers should stop at ebay? Shouldn’t they work to have their beers ’pulled’ from RB and BA as well if they truly want to remove this element for craft beer?

Because when you add profit into the equation, it pretty much (at least to me) becomes sleazy. I’m not gonna knock somebody’s hustle, but if they gather beers with the sole purpose of making money, they kind of suck. It’s the beer equivalent of scalping, plain and simple.

If you put something on eBay and make money off of somebody, more power to you. I come from a community (the live music scene) that attempts to take care of others as opposed to taking advantage of others. It’s all about getting good beer to people, not about money or status as a beer geek.

tronraner
beers 2459 º places 109 º 18:19 Tue 7/31/2012

To hell with the middlemen... what happens if I start a brewery and make my beers only available by auction?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 18:31 Tue 7/31/2012

I love how this is turning into another Ratebeer vs. Beeradvocate moronathon. This is why as we accomplish nothing. More stupid blah, blah, blah, Beeradvocate sucks, Ratebeer rules shit.

Back to the topic and the idea that Ebay is illegal. If that is so, let’s also start throwing all the bars and bottle shops that sell gray market bottles, growlers and pints under the bus. Let’s also throw all the breweries that ship their kegs illegally to markets they have no distribution in under the bus since both happen on a much larger scale than the beer bottles on Ebay market.

monsterzero
18:38 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by Cletus
I love how this is turning into another Ratebeer vs. Beeradvocate moronathon. This is why as we accomplish nothing. More stupid blah, blah, blah, Beeradvocate sucks, Ratebeer rules shit.

Back to the topic and the idea that Ebay is illegal. If that is so, let’s also start throwing all the bars and bottle shops that sell gray market bottles, growlers and pints under the bus. Let’s also throw all the breweries that ship their kegs illegally to markets they have no distribution in under the bus since both happen on a much larger scale than the beer bottles on Ebay market.

Agreed. Simply enlighten Adam Jackson to these wrong-doings and wait for appropriate action to be taken.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 19:10 Tue 7/31/2012

Action Jackson on the case. ISO: Rare cheeses. FT: End of all wrongdoings in the beer community.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 19:15 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by Cletus

From what I understand, in Ohio at least, bars/brewpubs can get temporary permits for beers not distributed to the market.

b3shine
beers 12183 º places 372 º 19:15 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by adamjackson
Action Jackson on the case. ISO: Rare cheeses. FT: End of all wrongdoings in the beer community.

Help yourself to my Fromunda.