RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Android app translations: help needed

read 4692 times • 72 replies • posted 6/23/2012 1:19:40 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

slsh
Iím one of these who gave the app a bad rating. The complaint was basically about usability. Hereís my typical usage scenario:
- start the app to scan my beer
- the beer is not found (I guess like 90% of european beers, but this is not your problem)
- I get a message of which half is not visible, so I have no idea whatís up
- I can press OK or Cancel, say I press OK
- it takes me to a search by barcode, this usually finds the beer name and some similarities
- then what??? I have a list of 1-3 beer names, which doesnít do anything - it wonít take me to the beer, it wonít let me add the UPC code to the beer, it doesnít do zit.
Can I give it a good rating based on the above experience? Think not.

Now I donít know what your use case is, but for me the app is of no value. I loved the idea however and this is why Iím posting here - maybe we can discuss whether my expectations are too high or you just donít (plan to) cover this scenario.
7/5/2012 3:14:22 PM

Private message send the author a private message

slsh
sorry, wrong thread - please ignore. Iíll repost.
7/5/2012 3:15:22 PM

premium
erickok 3424:152
Hmm, strange. Glad I made it a beta just for you guys. :D It likely has to do with missing translations. Can you send me an error report maybe, after the app crashes? Youíll need to use the Log Collector app for that. :) Thanks guys!
7/6/2012 8:10:48 AM

premium
Whatup14 684:115
I just sent it to you.
7/6/2012 9:14:31 AM

premium
Koelschtrinker 9998:2
Testversion before releasing would be useful...some translations might be wrong or sound strange in another context.
7/7/2012 4:23:26 AM

premium
Iíve build a new update that includes all your translations as well as several fixes and a small graphics update. Could you guys check out whether there are any UI related quircks w.r.t. your translations? Maybe some translations are missing? Thanks guys! I hope to release this to the masses in a couple of days.

Hereís the new release: http://ratebeerforandroid.googlecode.com/files/RateBeerForAndroid-1.3.0.apk
8/7/2012 2:28:23 AM

premium
Iíve look through tit quickly and two things appeared. Iím on the french version. On the home page, the offline notes and best by country are cut off, last words appear off screen.

In Places, every time I press Maps it force close.

Overall great job!!
8/7/2012 7:09:20 AM

premium
Thanks for the tips; youíre right the maps donít work in this beta. Iím going to fix this.

If you like to update soem of the translations (to make them fit better, for example), visit http://2312.nl/rb/translate/
8/7/2012 7:33:51 AM

premium
Could you try this new release candidate? It should be awesome!

http://ratebeerforandroid.googlecode.com/files/RateBeerForAndroid-1.3.1.apk
8/9/2012 2:13:18 PM

premium
In fact, it is awesome!!!

One last thing, the joined and last seen date are always the same (the joined date).

Great work.
8/30/2012 7:12:01 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback