Android app translations: help needed

Reads 6313 • Replies 72 • Started Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:19:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

slsh
places 2 º 15:14 Thu 7/5/2012

I’m one of these who gave the app a bad rating. The complaint was basically about usability. Here’s my typical usage scenario:
- start the app to scan my beer
- the beer is not found (I guess like 90% of european beers, but this is not your problem)
- I get a message of which half is not visible, so I have no idea what’s up
- I can press OK or Cancel, say I press OK
- it takes me to a search by barcode, this usually finds the beer name and some similarities
- then what??? I have a list of 1-3 beer names, which doesn’t do anything - it won’t take me to the beer, it won’t let me add the UPC code to the beer, it doesn’t do zit.
Can I give it a good rating based on the above experience? Think not.

Now I don’t know what your use case is, but for me the app is of no value. I loved the idea however and this is why I’m posting here - maybe we can discuss whether my expectations are too high or you just don’t (plan to) cover this scenario.

slsh
places 2 º 15:15 Thu 7/5/2012

sorry, wrong thread - please ignore. I’ll repost.

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 08:10 Fri 7/6/2012

Hmm, strange. Glad I made it a beta just for you guys. :D It likely has to do with missing translations. Can you send me an error report maybe, after the app crashes? You’ll need to use the Log Collector app for that. :) Thanks guys!

Whatup14
beers 3399 º places 302 º 09:14 Fri 7/6/2012

I just sent it to you.

Testversion before releasing would be useful...some translations might be wrong or sound strange in another context.

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 02:28 Tue 8/7/2012

I’ve build a new update that includes all your translations as well as several fixes and a small graphics update. Could you guys check out whether there are any UI related quircks w.r.t. your translations? Maybe some translations are missing? Thanks guys! I hope to release this to the masses in a couple of days.

Here’s the new release: http://ratebeerforandroid.googlecode.com/files/RateBeerForAndroid-1.3.0.apk

Whatup14
beers 3399 º places 302 º 07:09 Tue 8/7/2012

I’ve look through tit quickly and two things appeared. I’m on the french version. On the home page, the offline notes and best by country are cut off, last words appear off screen.

In Places, every time I press Maps it force close.

Overall great job!!

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 07:33 Tue 8/7/2012

Thanks for the tips; you’re right the maps don’t work in this beta. I’m going to fix this.

If you like to update soem of the translations (to make them fit better, for example), visit http://2312.nl/rb/translate/

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 14:13 Thu 8/9/2012

Could you try this new release candidate? It should be awesome!

http://ratebeerforandroid.googlecode.com/files/RateBeerForAndroid-1.3.1.apk

Whatup14
beers 3399 º places 302 º 07:12 Thu 8/30/2012

In fact, it is awesome!!!

One last thing, the joined and last seen date are always the same (the joined date).

Great work.