RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

anticeptic/tcp taste in ipa

read 1484 times • 12 replies • posted 10/30/2012 2:08:55 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
BenH 2259:6
My latest batch of ipa has a distinct solvent like aroma and taste like anticeptic/tcp. Does anyone have any input as to what could have caused this? Is over-hopping a possibility? Hereís my hop schedule:

2oz Chinook 60 mins

2oz simcoe 5mins
2oz Amarillo 5mins
2oz Nelson sauvin 5 mins

2oz simcoe flameout
2oz Amarillo flameout
2oz nelson sauvin flameout

2oz nelson dry hop 5 days
4oz simcoe dry hop 5 days

Itís quite a lot of hops but I struggle to believe that this solvent like aroma has come from the hops, itís quite unhop-like. The beer doesnít appear to be showing any signs of infection. I sanitize with VWP alkaline solution, pretty sure I rinsed well but maybe this could be it, although the flaw doesnít taste like the vwp, the vwp has more of a chlorine aroma
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
what yeast, what did you ferment at, what water are you using?
10/30/2012 2:18:17 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Lowenbrau 1915:173
First of all: how many liters/gallons is the batch??
10/30/2012 2:27:05 PM

premium
White labs Californian ale liquid yeast. Fermented at 20C (68F). Scottish water straight out the tap, no treatment. 20L batch
10/30/2012 2:50:49 PM

premium
Lowenbrau 1915:173
More than half a kg of hop in a 20l batch, i think this is too much, even for a IPA. Non treated water may affect also. Try asking for a detailed water analysis from your water provider and see its mineral contents.
10/30/2012 4:17:28 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by Lowenbrau
More than half a kg of hop in a 20l batch, i think this is too much, even for a IPA.

10/31/2012 7:10:54 AM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by Lowenbrau
More than half a kg of hop in a 20l batch, i think this is too much, even for a IPA. Non treated water may affect also. Try asking for a detailed water analysis from your water provider and see its mineral contents.

The solvent character is definitely not the result of over-hopping. Our IPA is pretty close to this amount of hops and our DIPA is about 50% more.

As far as the actual source of the problem, I would be looking at your knock-out/pitching/O2 procedures as well as the activity during the lag phase. Did you make a starter?
10/31/2012 7:29:32 AM

premium
Hmmm, I bottled a couple of clear bottles of this, I usually do so I can see how the beerís looking.It seems to be going hazy and thereís residue sticking to the inside of the bottle. Iím thinking it may have some kind of infection afterall. Itís not sour though, no vinegar, not minerally, could just have something weird in it. I think itís a drain pour either way, tastes pretty bad.
10/31/2012 7:33:18 AM

OldSock
It could be chlorphenols from the chlorine/chloramines in the water or from the sanitizer. When they mix with phenols from the rest of the ingredients they form a really off medicinal character that we are fantastically sensitive too.

I donít think 20 oz of hops is the problem, although Iím amazed you can smell anything over them!
10/31/2012 7:43:23 AM

premium
JulienHuxley 3016:256
Is this beer done and bottled? How old is it? I got the same kind of super harsh flavors out of my recent IPA after ten days. Itís been 16 now and it has gotten a lot better. I transfered, a lot of the particle matter in suspension was left behind/dropped out of it right after transfer, it cleared up very nicely.
10/31/2012 8:03:12 AM

robrules 1
Proof that you canít just cover most flaws with more hops.
11/1/2012 6:53:29 AM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add