RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Appearance rating

read 1172 times • 26 replies • posted 4/29/2013 2:40:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
keanex 1452:56
I just finished a review for Sly Foxís Helles and admittedly I probably rated it a bit high, but I was looking through the top raters and their ratings for appearance. 2/5, 3/5, and etc. All low scores. Iím now wondering what the hell constitutes a high score if a crystal clear golden helles lager with a decent head gets these low scores? Do people just use the appearance rating as an after thought to adjust their rating or what? This beer is exactly how the style should look so Iím very perplexed.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
DrSilverworm 6376:96
Good point. The top 15 rates are all between 2-3. I have appearance for that beer at a 4 for the same reasons you described. It looks good, and most people seem to describe the appearance the same way. Also curious about this
4/29/2013 3:22:56 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
GT2 8440:598
Here is how I rate appearance:

Does the beer look disgusting? No? +1
Is the SRM within reason? Yes? +1
Is the carbonation within reason? Yes? +1
Is the head retention and lacing appropriate for style of beer? Yes? +1
Does it have superlative aesthetics? Really big lacing, glowing beautiful color, or ridiculous retention, or ridiculous color? +1

So for IPA:

Glowing low haze golden with ice cream scoop rocky foam and sheets of lacing (1+1+1+1+1= 5)

For oud bruin:

Muddy brown with low carbonation (1+1+1+1=4)

4/29/2013 3:29:58 PM

premium
SHIG 3587:204
My rating for appearance pretty much suck. Everything starts at 3. If it is low carbonated and flat I give it a 2. Depending how it appears through the sampling I raise it to 4 or 5. Sometimes I bonus label art with +1. Iím sure as I continue brewing and enter homebrew competitions I will realize the importance of appearance more.
4/29/2013 4:12:02 PM

ContemplateBeer 1542:112
This is a great thread topic, and an area I think suffers the most in many of the ratings I read (including my own). I thinK I mindlessly give 3s; certainly nothing with the structure that GT2 has proposed above. (Thanks for that, by the way)
4/29/2013 4:59:06 PM

premium
brokensail 10935:852
Itís something I typically donít put too much thought into and I probably give too high of appearance scores most of the time. tend to just give everything a 4 unless itís particularly ugly or if it is flat or something off like that.
4/29/2013 5:02:07 PM

premium
Beerman6686 4348:146
I have always thought that having an appearance rating in a hedonistic rating scale is a bit strange. I really donít see how this category canít be rated almost completely based on style.
4/29/2013 5:21:37 PM

premium
GT2 8440:598
Originally posted by Beerman6686
I have always thought that having an appearance rating in a hedonistic rating scale is a bit strange. I really donít see how this category canít be rated almost completely based on style.

For whiskey review sites, there is no field for appearance. So your sentiment makes perfect sense.
4/29/2013 5:49:18 PM

premium
keanex 1452:56
Originally posted by Beerman6686
Indeed. The odd thing though is that one of the top raters who gave Sly Foxís Helles a 2, gave another Helles a 4 despite it sounding like it was a bit dark and was lacking head. Iím left scratching my head.
4/29/2013 7:19:45 PM

premium
Drake 8563:476
3 isnít a low score. Like someone else said, I start appearance at 3 (as well as mouthfeel) and then adjust from that point as needed.
4/29/2013 7:57:47 PM

premium
j12601 6584:285
If it looks good, I give it a 3. If it looks remarkably awesome it may get a 4. If it looks like something rather unappealing, a 2.
Given that I rated Chelada a 2 on appearance (since in my mind I could envision something even worse... maybe Chunky Style Chelada), and have never rated anything a 5 on appearance (since again I could always think of something even better), that pretty much works for me.
4/29/2013 8:06:47 PM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers