RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Appearance rating

read 1196 times • 26 replies • posted 4/29/2013 2:40:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

keanex 1493:57
What constitutes a 4 or 5 when the beer looks textbook for the style though? Crystal clear clarity, check. Golden color, check. Moderately sized head on a hard pour with above average retention, check. I feel as if a 2/5 is completely inappropriate in that situation, even a 3/5 is rather harsh all things considered.
4/29/2013 8:08:43 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Originally posted by j12601
If it looks good, I give it a 3. If it looks remarkably awesome it may get a 4. If it looks like something rather unappealing, a 2.
Given that I rated Chelada a 2 on appearance (since in my mind I could envision something even worse... maybe Chunky Style Chelada), and have never rated anything a 5 on appearance (since again I could always think of something even better), that pretty much works for me.
What could look better about an imperial stout with a 1-2 finger creamy tan-brown head with great retention with a pitch black body?

Iím just trying to understand here. I feel that appearance is a very easy thing to rate and Iím not afraid to give something a 4-5 for it. If an IPA has a light amber to dark amber body with a tall 2-3 finger head that has good retention and good clarity then itís going to get a 4 or 5 from me. Thereís not much better the style can look.
4/29/2013 8:09:51 PM

premium
pepsican 1448:47
appearance is completely worthless to me and Iím fine with using it any way I see fit.
4/29/2013 8:12:49 PM

Originally posted by randomgarbage
appearance is completely worthless to me and Iím fine with using it any way I see fit.
You donít gain any aesthetic pleasure from seeing an IPA like Sculpin in a nice teku glass? I get super excited personally.
4/29/2013 8:15:32 PM

premium
pepsican 1448:47
Originally posted by keanex
You donít gain any aesthetic pleasure from seeing an IPA like Sculpin in a nice teku glass? I get super excited personally.

Well, I could, but I usually donít. I see an IPA that is basically a shitty amber ale that people seem to think is good like CCB jai alai and Iíll give that one a 1. But when I see a beer like Summit Saga that has a promise of the perfect IPA, and Iíll score that one quite high. Beyond that, I donít really care. Look at heady, tastes great, looks bad...or at least did. If an imperial stout poured like seltzer water and blew my mind, Iíd reconsider what an imperial stout should look like.
4/29/2013 8:18:26 PM

hopbomber 102:32

Yup, agree with this. I only use it if I want an exceptional beer to have a higher rating than a great beer. Most just get the stock 3/5
4/30/2013 12:24:29 AM

premium
GT2 8690:613
If people donít use this correctly, what was the original rationale for including appearance? I reckon people also flub the palate section as well, albeit that is very important I think.
4/30/2013 12:26:47 AM

Palate is something Iím still working on. Most beer gets a 4/5 from me, assuming itís appropriate, 5/5 tends to be reserved for lively carbonated creamy witbiers and thick imperial stouts.
4/30/2013 4:11:46 AM

Unclerudy 12:3
A BJCP appearance score would tell you to score it perfect, and deduct for flaws. If you do not detect flaws, why take away points?
4/30/2013 6:16:42 AM

premium
HenrikSoegaard 10724:325
This is strange thing to rate. I am a head-fanatic so I start with a 3 and if the head is too small or disapers to fast it goes down to 2 and if it is huge and consistent it moves to 4. 5 is for the beers that make the perfect pour/head without tilting the glass. Colour is not so important but amber/reds makes it easier to get a 4. (they are the most difficult colour to brew)
Clarity is not important, but too much sediment is.
Glassware is very important in this matter, so many of my ratings are done with the same glasses at home.
I also think that too many give to low scores here especially for blond beers.
The most tricky part now is cider; mead and sake.......
4/30/2013 6:27:47 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers