RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Appearance rating

read 1194 times • 26 replies • posted 4/29/2013 2:40:30 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

pinkie 470:10
I agree that the appearance rating is almost a given unless the beer is really severely flawed.

The palate rating is about mouthfeel I think. At first I tried to relate it only to tastes and then I had to open it up in my mind to include general mouthfeel.

I would like it if we could rate with decimals like 3.5 or 3.8. I think that would be an enhancement.
4/30/2013 7:14:54 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NeoHippie2 1057:50
Originally posted by GT2
Here is how I rate appearance:

Does the beer look disgusting? No? +1
Is the SRM within reason? Yes? +1
Is the carbonation within reason? Yes? +1
Is the head retention and lacing appropriate for style of beer? Yes? +1
Does it have superlative aesthetics? Really big lacing, glowing beautiful color, or ridiculous retention, or ridiculous color? +1

So for IPA:

Glowing low haze golden with ice cream scoop rocky foam and sheets of lacing (1+1+1+1+1= 5)

For oud bruin:

Muddy brown with low carbonation (1+1+1+1=4)

Great reference!
4/30/2013 7:28:34 AM

premium
GoufCustom 857:77
Appearance plays an important part of my beer enjoyment and rating. For certain beer styles, a good colour , clearness / cloudness, head size, frothyness and durations could significantly lighten up an otherwise boring, middle of the pack stuff. Careful pouring also helps to determine whether the one I am going to drink can put up a good head and look as advertised (more often than not , they donít). For certain styles like hefeweiss and Abbey / Trappist, good look and head are must for me.
4/30/2013 7:30:09 AM

keanex 1493:57
Originally posted by HenrikSoegaard
The most tricky part now is cider; mead and sake.......

Indeed, I need to remember that they arenít going to have a head.
4/30/2013 10:03:27 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by Unclerudy
A BJCP appearance score would tell you to score it perfect, and deduct for flaws. If you do not detect flaws, why take away points?

There are only 3 points. Arguably, there are three points of importance in appearance: color, clarity & head. What is odd is that in mead judging, there are 6 points for appearance. I know a beautiful beer when I see it and thatís what Iíll save 5s for.

As to the palate discussion, I take a two pronged approach there. Mouthfeel and balance are my two points of emphasis in terms of that.
4/30/2013 11:10:29 AM

premium
GT2 8676:610
Originally posted by keanex
Originally posted by HenrikSoegaard
The most tricky part now is cider; mead and sake.......

Indeed, I need to remember that they arenít going to have a head.

I think Iím spoiled because fresh cider in Normandy, France will have a glowing starfruit appearance loads of haze, and large white foam that will diminish after 2-3 seconds.

But a lot of craft cider in the US looks like apple juice box, and no foam. Maybe 1 second fizz out from a small white soda head.

:-(
4/30/2013 11:13:44 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback