Are Imperial Stouts over-rated?

Reads 4618 • Replies 65 • Started Friday, February 13, 2015 3:00:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 02:18 Thu 2/19/2015

Originally posted by madmitch76
So yes - hard to really fuck up an Impy unless you are Southwark or Harvey’s.

Wow you really are trying to poke the provocative stick aren’t you Ken?

The first time I had Harvey’s Impy Stout I hated it.

Now I think it’s brilliant and can’t wait for my bottle on 1 March in the Royal Oak.

madmitch76
beers 36870 º places 240 º 02:26 Thu 2/19/2015

Nope. As with other Harvey’s, tried it a few times as you and many others love ’em and I think I need to persist but I still think the stout is grim.

FatPhil
beers 26061 º places 995 º 12:36 Thu 2/19/2015

Ho ho, the Harveys wind-up has begun!

First time I tasted H’s RIS, it was so unlike any other stout I’d ever had, I realised that I shouldn’t judge it as even being the same style of beer. It was a little disconcerting. However, half a world of beer later, when I next had it I realised what a delicious brew I had in my hands.

To each his own.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 17:52 Thu 2/19/2015

Originally posted by FatPhil
Ho ho, the Harveys wind-up has begun!

First time I tasted H’s RIS, it was so unlike any other stout I’d ever had, I realised that I shouldn’t judge it as even being the same style of beer. It was a little disconcerting. However, half a world of beer later, when I next had it I realised what a delicious brew I had in my hands.

To each his own.
still yet to try it!

Phil
beers 181 º places 34 º 04:07 Fri 2/20/2015

I think Ratebeer has caused a resurgence of the number of Imperial stouts brewed, oh, and many other Imperialized beers. read into that what you think.

the banter is good, but it’s also how Ratebeer works, big beers win. Oh, and US beers, and Danish beers, and more and more we already know.

Do you want to fix this? do you think it’s wrong? I hate people justifying their beer purchases "coz it’s got a 98 on RB,bro. "

And, what is good beer to some, is frequently dif to others - the lens we look at beer through is a very interesting subject.

cgarvieuk
beers 37611 º places 457 º 04:11 Fri 2/20/2015

Is this thread still going, i thought i had it all sorted on page one when i said NO

Phil
beers 181 º places 34 º 04:23 Fri 2/20/2015

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 05:00 Fri 2/20/2015

I think Harvey’s Imperial Stout is the best imperial stout in the world. It’s the only one I’d put in a list of my top 50, or even 100, beers, probably. It’s not that I don’t enjoy imperial stouts, but Harvey’s is one of the few that has the complexity and depth of character to be up there with the best things I’ve had.

madmitch76
beers 36870 º places 240 º 11:04 Fri 2/20/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
I think Harvey’s Imperial Stout is the best imperial stout in the world. It’s the only one I’d put in a list of my top 50, or even 100, beers, probably. It’s not that I don’t enjoy imperial stouts, but Harvey’s is one of the few that has the complexity and depth of character to be up there with the best things I’ve had.

madmitch76
beers 36870 º places 240 º 14:25 Fri 2/20/2015

In my (probably twisted) synathesiastic mind, drinking a new RIS should be like making luuurve to a beautiful woman.

The RIS (hereafter referred to in the female vernacular) should be soft and warm, caressining and enticing. She will have big round voluptuous flavours that flow seamlessly in to each other in intriguing ways. My tongue (cough!) will want to explore all those (ahem!) Interesting intersections. She will be sweet and certainly a little spicy.

Harveys - bitter, dry, tired, thin and not a little yeasty. Fuck my old boot, I’ve pulled Dot Cotton!