Around TownL 1st Quarter 2014

Reads 14474 • Replies 211 • Started Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:20:51 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 08:45 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
Penrose of Geneva, IL has a taproom. It is open as of today.

Some initial beers to be added. Cheers.

I enjoyed my stop at Penrose over the weekend. P2 was my favorite beer more of a Belgian-American pale ale hybrid that showcased Galaxy hops well. Their belgian yeast fermentations were nice and fairly restrained. Nothing too exciting yet but most of their beers were solid. It sounds like a lot of barrel/sour projects coming down the pipeline too.

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 09:15 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by drewbeerme
Originally posted by TheAlum
Penrose of Geneva, IL has a taproom. It is open as of today.

Some initial beers to be added. Cheers.

I enjoyed my stop at Penrose over the weekend. P2 was my favorite beer more of a Belgian-American pale ale hybrid that showcased Galaxy hops well. Their belgian yeast fermentations were nice and fairly restrained. Nothing too exciting yet but most of their beers were solid. It sounds like a lot of barrel/sour projects coming down the pipeline too.

Ha P-2 yesterday and also really enjoyed it. Very much an apa with belgian yeast.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 09:57 Mon 3/24/2014

I forgot to add that the Penrose tasting room is industrial and spacious. Staff was very friendly. Prices were fair, especially a $12 growler fill. I’d go back often but Geneva is a ways out there.

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 20:49 Mon 3/24/2014

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Originally posted by HonkeyBra
I noticed that the entry for Ale Syndicate Municipal IPA says it’s an all Cascade IPA. The bottle I have right now says, "This all-Crystal ale is the second in our single-hopped series of well-balanced, enjoyable IPAs."

Does Municipal IPA use a different hop varietal in different batches?

Sort of. They brew it based on what they have on hand.

So, this begs the question then, if they’re brewing different batches with different hop varietals and marketing them as such are they new entries?

charule
beers 2306 º places 121 º 21:41 Tue 3/25/2014

Not really ’round town but Blacknote came out today in Kalamazoo... who knows if/when it’ll make it here. Keep your eyes peeled.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:00 Wed 3/26/2014

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
I noticed that the entry for Ale Syndicate Municipal IPA says it’s an all Cascade IPA. The bottle I have right now says, "This all-Crystal ale is the second in our single-hopped series of well-balanced, enjoyable IPAs."

Does Municipal IPA use a different hop varietal in different batches?

Sort of. They brew it based on what they have on hand.

So, this begs the question then, if they’re brewing different batches with different hop varietals and marketing them as such are they new entries?

Probably not based on branding.

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 12:59 Wed 3/26/2014

Some interesting sour beers out around town: Elgood’s Coolship Lambic, Freigeist/Trois Dames Smuggler’s Gose, Bahnhof pine gose (pineus), spice gose (gewuerz), BFM Square Root 225 Zymatore , Jolly Pumpkin #47 Thai Basil

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:46 Fri 3/28/2014

Today’s Half Acre Firkin Friday offering sounds neat:

Updated 3/27/14 @ 10:37 AM

FIRKIN FRIDAY 3/28:
Mango Habanero Space IPA

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 08:09 Sat 3/29/2014

And a surprise sour around town that is good, tried it Hitachino Nest Anbai. Mad I missed that firkin yesterday though. The Smuggler’s Gose is world-class. Tropical fruit and sour.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:29 Sat 3/29/2014

Originally posted by crossovert
tried it Hitachino Nest Anbai.

where is this on tap? Beermenus doesn’t have it available anywhere.