RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Arrogant Bastard Clone. . . Sort of

read 1851 times • 29 replies • posted 11/13/2012 8:42:55 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
Steve_0 2229:104
Originally posted by Unclerudy
Probably just use some Crystal 80.

in lieu of the entire 1.5lbs?
11/14/2012 10:46:24 AM

Private message send the author a private message

bearbrew 4:
Do a search on brewing newtork "can you brew it" Iím sure they have a podcast dedicated to an arrogant bastard clone
11/14/2012 2:38:41 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
From everything Iíve heard, it sounds like itís just pale and Special B malts. So couple that with all chinook and what else I know about how they brew at Stone and this is your outline:

Pale malt (extract)

Special B (not sure about amount, but 1# would be a safer bet than 1.5)

All chinook hops with a large charge (like 4-5 ounces at end of boil and the rest at 90 minutes to hit your target BU (probably about 60-70).

Ferment with WLP 007 in the mid-high 60s and carbonate to about 2.5 volumes

Check those Brewing Network podcasts for some more detail but I donít know if theyíve ever been perfectly happy with their recipe.
11/14/2012 3:23:44 PM

premium
Unclerudy 12:3
Originally posted by Steve_0

Yes.

Just a pound.
11/14/2012 4:02:11 PM

Quasimodo 217:
If you browse through the reviews here, you will see that no one with a decent palate said raisin. Therefore, there is no way itís Special B. I recall it has a woody quality to it, so maybe it has some Fuggles additions at 20 minutes unless Chinook can taste woody too. Iíve never brewed with Chinook.
11/14/2012 6:41:50 PM

premium
bitbucket 2158:63
Originally posted by Steve_0

Yes. Both of the recipes seem a little "dark" as is. But maybe thatís just me.

I kinda like what you have going on here in Recipe 2. Youíre using various caramel malts that tend to have a bit more nuanced flavor than their Crystal equivalents. My guess is that if youíre off the track youíre off in a good way.

It has been a while since Iíve done an extract brew, but I always thought that using amber DME was a bad idea. Better to use all light DME, and bump up your specialty malts a bit, rather than get some random contribution to color.
11/14/2012 7:36:23 PM

seymour 1320:44
Iíve read the rumor, from more than one place, and from people claiming to be in-the-know, that Arrogant Bastard is a single malt + single hop recipe. Special-B and Chinook.

I donít know how thatís possible. I donít know how they get the efficiencies they do with 10-20 minute mashes either but they do. Iím not saying the recipe claim is true, but thatís such a bold beer and brewer Iím not ruling it out.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50010&hilit=arrogant+bastard#p527096
11/15/2012 12:48:20 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
Single malt as in single specialty malt? You canít make beer with just Special B. Well, I guess you could, but it would be horrible.

Itís all but been given out by Stone that itís pale malt and special b, with just chinook. Special b can taste like more than raisin, so thatís not a valid argument against it. Put the rest of the puzzle together and it should only take a couple attempts if you are a good brewer. Iíve never tried because I have no interest in having any quantity of that beer.
11/15/2012 3:34:50 PM

seymour 1320:44
Originally posted by SamGamgeeSingle malt as in single specialty malt? You canít make beer with just Special B. Well, I guess you could, but it would be horrible...

Not saying youíre wrong, because I know youíre an accomplished brewer, but I donít think you can say that if youíve never tried.
You can buy Special-B in different levels of darkness, and they all appear to me an uneven bake. Thus, itís theoretically possible to brew a 100% mediumish Special-B recipe, which due to its uneveness might resemble a grainbill of pale + caramel + roast. Iím just saying itís possible, and theyíre arrogant enough bastards to try that kind of shit. Think about it, that beer is very caramelly, toasty, melanoidy, fruity.

I think we sometimes get too caught up in the absolutism of labels: base malt vs. specialty malt, for instance. I have brewed a beer with no base malt, just tons of Munich, Special B and home-roasted wheat. It came out very similar to Arrogant Bastard, minus all the Chinook.
11/15/2012 5:17:19 PM

premium
bitbucket 2158:63
Originally posted by seymour
Thus, itís theoretically possible to brew a 100% mediumish Special-B recipe.

Maybe, if you lean heavily on chemicals. It wonít self-convert.

Originally posted by seymour
Iíve read the rumor, from more than one place, and from people claiming to be in-the-know, that Arrogant Bastard is a single malt + single hop recipe. Special-B and Chinook.

I donít know how thatís possible. I donít know how they get the efficiencies they do with 10-20 minute mashes either but they do. Iím not saying the recipe claim is true, but thatís such a bold beer and brewer Iím not ruling it out.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50010&hilit=arrogant+bastard#p527096

A couple of problems here:
1. If you brew with all Special B, you will have a wort as dark as a stout.
2. I believe Special B malt has somewhere near zero Lintner, so if you mash with all Special B alone, youíre going to have almost no diastic power. Even the lighter crystal malts will have this problem, and Special B has been stewed pretty heavily.

Just for grins, I put 15 pounds of Special B as the only malt in a five gallon batch. It came up with 128 SRM (way too dark for RIS) and 3.5% alcohol (way too "light" for RIS).
11/15/2012 9:02:50 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add