Article: Cannabis and homebrew

Reads 13853 • Replies 36 • Started Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:39:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:39 Wed 11/14/2012

The state supported regulation of cannabis in Colorado and Washington has raised the question of the legality of brewing with cannabis once again, and -- let’s cut to the chase -- it won’t be. But the idea of brewing with cannabis is resurfacing popularly.

Here’s some discussion.

From http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2012/11/cannabis_beer_brewed_by_colora.php

--
Last month a Tacoma, Washington dispensary was busted for selling bottles of "cannabis enriched honey beer" to minors and apparently without a liquor license.

Despite the legality and commercial viability of a cannabis beer, two questions remain: how can you brew beer with cannabis and will it get you high?

"The two biggest challenge are off flavors and contamination," says Miami home brewer Matt Weintraub. "If the marijuana is added during the initial wort boil, its water-soluble tars and chlorophyll will be extracted, giving the beer a plant-like flavor. Added after the boil, it can introduce bacteria and sour the beer."
--

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 09:41 Wed 11/14/2012

That guy has a pretty sweet last name if it is real. It basically translates to "Yeast shit left over from making wine".

But the best way to encorporate weed into beer would be to make a tincture from the marijuana and add it at bottling.

FL_homer
beers 1 º places 1 º 09:44 Wed 11/14/2012

I think I once read an article that said you had to first extract the desirable components from the marijuana with alcohol. When I have time, I’ll see if I can find the article.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:47 Wed 11/14/2012

Originally posted by Unclerudy
That guy has a pretty sweet last name if it is real. It basically translates to "Yeast shit left over from making wine".

But the best way to encorporate weed into beer would be to make a tincture from the marijuana and add it at bottling.

That would get people stoned but George Washington’s notes on his cannabis treatment... of putting his harvested plants in the river to wash away water soluble elements and thus concentrating the THC... I though to be interesting.

To me the most interesting thing about a cannabis beer would be to impart the flavor without getting anyone stoned. Heat the herb gently in water to impart flavor and some color. Then use this water as an addition at the end of boil.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 09:50 Wed 11/14/2012

Originally posted by FL_homer
I think I once read an article that said you had to first extract the desirable components from the marijuana with alcohol. When I have time, I’ll see if I can find the article.

Any non-polar solvent will do.

anon84892
beers 3284 º places 21 º 10:10 Wed 11/14/2012

I think the aromatic properties of cannabis could be interesting for a dry-hopped effect. Quite a lot would need to be used if you were to use like for like quantities as hops, it would be quite expensive, assuming you used good gear. Probably an alcohol bath first then added to secondary would have the desired effect. It would probably get you stoned and make you ’whitey’ though

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 10:18 Wed 11/14/2012

Cannibis is actually a close relative to the hop plant. I beleive that they are genetically cousins.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 10:24 Wed 11/14/2012

Originally posted by Unclerudy

I assume that traub means grape (traube). I think trub is trüb. And I assume its a real name as I’ve known people with the same last name.

weirman
13:03 Wed 11/14/2012

Its 100% possible and in fact, just plain doable.

Cannabis and Hops are both part of the Cannibacea family, hops being cannibacea humulus lupulus... and cannabis sativa, indica, etc.

Scientists have been working in controlled environments on actually crossing hops with cannabis to try to input some elemental cannabinoids and THC into hop strains, with little success.

The reasons you mentions of tar and chlorophyll does not make a whole lot of sense due to the fact that there are tars and chlorophyll in hops, most tars being in the ’resins’ in the lupulin glands, or other essential oils such humulones or lupulones, and chlorophyll just being in the plant matter itself.

Ever had a fresh, wet hopped ale that sat a little while? It does off put some grassy flavors and aromas, similar to those that WET cannabis would. The drying process is done to remove that undesirable flavor and aroma from cannabis, just as it is done for hops/

Having said that, making an extract or oil, such as honey, would probably be the best way to introduce these compounds. Say your brewing a honey, pumpkin ale.... you would just use the cannabis infused honey at flameout. Keep in mind, vaporizers are typically in the 150 - 250 degree F range. That is enough heat to extract those oils to produce the desired effect. A vigorous boil is a bit above 230, so your in the range ... so at flame out, THC would be activated and not boiled off since it starts cooling immediately. Perhaps you could also step up your yeast during fermentation with some Cannabis honey?

Theoretically, its 100% possible ... I would just research on temperature introductions. Cant wait to see how THAT industry turns out, would love to get in on that in the beginning.

wavers1
beers 916 º places 42 º 13:22 Wed 11/14/2012

The new craze for cannabis extracts is through super critical co2 extraction, same way they get hop extracts i believe. Just sayin.

kryptic
13:26 Wed 11/14/2012

Originally posted by FL_homer

Pretty much. If I were to make a beer with cannabis, with the goal to feel the cannabis effects and get high off of it, I would probably just dissolve some type of cannabis extract in everclear and add it to the final product.

Using whole buds instead of hops is just a total waste. Unless you have a ton just laying around and want to try it just for the novelty of it.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer