RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Article: Cannabis and homebrew

read 9127 times • 36 replies • posted 11/14/2012 9:39:13 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by Unclerudy
That guy has a pretty sweet last name if it is real. It basically translates to "Yeast shit left over from making wine".

But the best way to encorporate weed into beer would be to make a tincture from the marijuana and add it at bottling.

Weintraub literally translates as wine grape...
11/14/2012 1:50:19 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
egajdzis 5401:47
Originally posted by kryptic
If I were to make a beer with cannabis, with the goal to feel the cannabis effects and get high off of it, I would probably just dissolve some type of cannabis extract in everclear and add it to the final product.

I got a friend who used George T Stagg (2007, the year it hit 72.4%) to extract, and then added that at bottling. The final product tasted amazing. So if youíve got other high proof liquor around and donít mind wasting the $$, you could try that.
11/14/2012 2:16:32 PM

Mcc1654
Iíve done it before and it worked well. I took a gallon of an IPA post fermentation and dry hopped it with ground up herb in a fine hop bag. I had previously steeped the herb and bag in 180F water for 10 minutes to extract some of the plant taste and sanitize it. THC is not water soluble so it wonít extract into the water. The alcohol in the beer will extract the THC over time.
11/14/2012 2:27:42 PM

premium
OldStyleCubFan 77:15
Originally posted by wavers1
The new craze for cannabis extracts is through super critical co2 extraction, same way they get hop extracts i believe. Just sayin.

Hmmmmmm.........does anyone use vector to make homemade hop BHO for homebrew?
11/14/2012 2:28:47 PM

kryptic
Originally posted by OldStyleCubFan
Originally posted by wavers1
The new craze for cannabis extracts is through super critical co2 extraction, same way they get hop extracts i believe. Just sayin.

Hmmmmmm.........does anyone use vector to make homemade hop BHO for homebrew?

Interesting... never even thought about that.

11/14/2012 2:33:12 PM

weirman
"+1. I will add however, that cannabis should be tinctured in grain alcohol first, then added post boil. I have brewed many a cannabis beer, and never had any problems using my methods."

That too, might be more bang for your buck. THC is fat soluble so maybe even during mashing, they could combine with the long chain sugars that broken down by the alpha amylase?? Just a thought
11/14/2012 2:49:47 PM

Mcc1654
Originally posted by weirman
"+1. I will add however, that cannabis should be tinctured in grain alcohol first, then added post boil. I have brewed many a cannabis beer, and never had any problems using my methods."

That too, might be more bang for your buck. THC is fat soluble so maybe even during mashing, they could combine with the long chain sugars that broken down by the alpha amylase?? Just a thought

Not sure if that would work, but if it did I think the boil could affect the THC.
11/14/2012 2:52:59 PM

oteyj 2130:14
Soak the weed in vodka then dry hop with it.
11/14/2012 3:00:07 PM

oteyj 2130:14
For me the optimal way to use it would be to extract the delicious juicy tutti fruity dank nasty aroma from it without getting stoned as hell every time I want a beer.
11/14/2012 3:01:16 PM

CityofBals
The primary goal would be pulling the cbdís and thc out of the plants, which are contained in the essential oils (what gives it that nice aroma). Using high proof grain alcohol would be the most effective at pulling the oils out, but you will also pull a lot of clorophyll out with it. Thatís no good!

Instead, as people mentioned above, if you were to do a supercritical fluid extraction (SFE) with say 100% pure butane, you would be able to get all the essential oils out, without any nasty clorophyll. At this point, you could make a much cleaner and infinitely more potent tincture, which you can add at bottling. (as long as the oils you extract are properly purged of the fluid used during SFE through a bell vaccuum at 28-29 atmospheres, it will be 100% safe)

Would be very interesting in a Saison methinks.
11/14/2012 4:23:14 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add