RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Back Sweetening Cider

read 744 times • 16 replies • posted 12/6/2013 5:47:17 PM

Page 1 | 2

premium
TheBeerSommelier
I just made my first cider (2 gallons) and after a couple of months and much of the methaneís blown off, itís pretty good. But it finished at literally 0.999. I used a couple of cups of sugar to bump up the abv, but didnít expect it to finish this dry.

Which leads me with a conundrum. Iíd rather not use artificial sweeteners, but will, if it ends up being necessary - I think aspartame is a fairly close approximation to sugar, but Splenda has a horrible aftertaste. But everything Iíve read says that neither potassium metabisulfite, nor cold-crashing alone, will remove all the yeast from suspension.

Iíd really like to just resweeten and flavor with some concentrate, but canít see any relatively easy way to do it.

Any helpful insight is appreciated.
Reply to OP

Private message Send the author a private message

SSSteve 3663:
You could try k-sorbate along with the k-metabisulfate. Something like 1/2 tsp/gallon of k-sorbate and 1 campden(metabisulfate) tablet/gallon. Dissolve them in some boiling water, cool, and add the mixture. Wait a few days for it work in before adding concentrate.
12/6/2013 6:26:36 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Bacterial 1205:30
Originally posted by SSSteve
You could try k-sorbate along with the k-metabisulfate. Something like 1/2 tsp/gallon of k-sorbate and 1 campden(metabisulfate) tablet/gallon. Dissolve them in some boiling water, cool, and add the mixture. Wait a few days for it work in before adding concentrate.

This! Iíve got a cider going that Iím planning to do the same thing with.
12/6/2013 7:05:02 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Cobra 1100:24
Get some Stevia powder. Problem solved.
12/7/2013 4:40:09 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
BoostIPA 1103:20
Stevia works, but is very hard to find without dextrose (which will raise your abv) or preservative chemicals (which will kill the yeast and prevent refermentation in the bottle) added.

12/7/2013 6:23:36 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
TheBeerSommelier

Thanks, dudes.

I think Iím going to go the sulfites route, for several reasons. First, I HATE the way most artificial sweeteners taste - mostly their horrible, bitter aftertaste. Aspartame (Equal) is pretty good, but Iíd like to avoid it if at all possible. The thought of serving any craft brew with artificial sweeteners makes me cringe.

I also think it needs a bit more apple flavor...itís so thin, itís just lacking a bit.

Iím also planning on it being still, so Iím not worried about bottle refermentation - I just need the sweetness and apple flavor.

I really never though making cider would be this tough!
12/7/2013 6:29:22 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Cletus 6329:233
If youíre going the sulfite route, you could backsweeten with some honey with the concentrate to add an extra layer of complexity to the cider. IMHO, pear concentrate is really great when backsweetening a cider.
12/7/2013 8:07:55 AM

Post a reply Post reply

NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Methane?
12/7/2013 1:08:35 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
TheBeerSommelier
Originally posted by Cletus
If youíre going the sulfite route, you could backsweeten with some honey with the concentrate to add an extra layer of complexity to the cider. IMHO, pear concentrate is really great when backsweetening a cider.

Interesting, I hadnít considered pear. Thanks.

12/7/2013 1:10:07 PM

Post a reply Post reply

CLevar 376:10
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
Methane?

Iím also interested (and slightly concerned) by that...
12/7/2013 5:13:38 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
BoostIPA 1103:20
The real trick (at least for me) is trying to get a high boost, sweet, bottle carbonated cider.
Aiming for a 10%abv, sweet, bottle conditioned cider. Batch 3 currently bottle carbing. Weíll see how it turns out in another week.
12/7/2013 5:20:25 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Reply to Thread     
Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add