Bad named breweries....

Reads 6350 • Replies 75 • Started Monday, August 11, 2014 3:52:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HonkeyBra
beers 4044 º places 13 º 19:01 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by Frank
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Wild Onion, the name already makes worry about strong onion character in their beers.

This one rubbed me the wrong way from way before I ever tried their beer. I remember buying surplus bottle caps from a homebrew supply, which are over-runs from productions for commercial beers and will just have some random logo on them, and I got a batch from Wild Onion and just thought, "Oh, these guys must’ve went out of business" because the name was so bad.

Although I agree it is a bad name, it kind of makes sense. Chicago was named after a wild onion and wild onions are native to the area.

There is a brewery in Wisconsin called Four Brothers that is just begging for a cease and desist letter.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 19:04 Mon 8/11/2014

-Donkey Punch is great, changed their name to Wild Donkey
-Anyone who forgot to use Google before making their brewery name like Epic, Fate
-Anything with City in the name: Bold City, River City, Chocolate City, Charm City, Angel City, Bull City, Cigar City (ok, works perhaps because it is alliteration)
-Anything with Dog in the name: Dog City, Pub Dog, Dog Bite, BrewDog, Dogfish, Laughing Dog, Bulldog, Flying Dog, even Hair of the Dog isn’t quite the best name for a brewery
-Beer Brewing Company, yes it is real:
https://www.facebook.com/beerbrewingcompany
-Gigantic seems to be a poor choice

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:16 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by GT2
-Donkey Punch is great, changed their name to Wild Donkey
-Anyone who forgot to use Google before making their brewery name like Epic, Fate
-Anything with City in the name: Bold City, River City, Chocolate City, Charm City, Angel City, Bull City, Cigar City (ok, works perhaps because it is alliteration)
-Anything with Dog in the name: Dog City, Pub Dog, Dog Bite, BrewDog, Dogfish, Laughing Dog, Bulldog, Flying Dog, even Hair of the Dog isn’t quite the best name for a brewery
-Beer Brewing Company, yes it is real:
https://www.facebook.com/beerbrewingcompany
-Gigantic seems to be a poor choice

What’s wrong with dog in a brewery name?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 19:16 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by joeneugs
Originally posted by ChinoSkillzian
There’s so many in California its hard to know where to start, but this is one of my favorites: Uncle Sam’s Misguided Brewery

That’s not a bad name. If you get a chance to try their beers you’ll understand why.

Explain for us out of towners?

JohnnyJ
beers 5827 º places 100 º 19:22 Mon 8/11/2014

belching beaver

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 19:45 Mon 8/11/2014

Sisyphus Brewing...looks like syphilis.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 19:50 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by GT2

was thinking this same thing.

Brewery name might be good...but if somebody else already has it...

jtclockwork
beers 21132 º places 554 º 19:51 Mon 8/11/2014

I’ve had a few Belching Beaver brews. They were all decent.

wchesser
beers 2435 º places 44 º 20:09 Mon 8/11/2014

New place in Broomfield, CO: Four Noses

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 20:28 Mon 8/11/2014

Originally posted by drowland
Originally posted by joeneugs
Originally posted by ChinoSkillzian
There’s so many in California its hard to know where to start, but this is one of my favorites: Uncle Sam’s Misguided Brewery

That’s not a bad name. If you get a chance to try their beers you’ll understand why.

Explain for us out of towners?

Oh, sorry. It’s just that they were very misguided in thinking they should open a brewery. The beers are terrible.