Bad named breweries....

Reads 6349 • Replies 75 • Started Monday, August 11, 2014 3:52:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

77ships
beers 14200 º places 917 º 07:45 Tue 8/12/2014

Originally posted by DrnkMcDermott
A local homebrewing group that pours at a couple of events in Chicago: Big Dicks. Their tap handles have condoms on them.

Do they sell a cream ale & milk stout?

minutemat
beers 14673 º places 551 º 07:50 Tue 8/12/2014

I just had a beer called Cocky from a UK brewery called Piddle. Piddle is another word for Piss. And this beer tasted worse than piss.

minutemat
beers 14673 º places 551 º 07:52 Tue 8/12/2014

Oh yeah, and Quaffing Gravy. Just.. terrible.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16532 º places 792 º 08:26 Tue 8/12/2014

Ohio has a bunch, as previously mentioned. I don’t like the name JAFB-Wooster on many levels: it’s an acronym, it stands for Just Another Fucking Brewery, it has a hyphen and a town name in the title. Just bad all around.

I’ll second most of the ones mentioned above. Here are a few others:

7venth Sun (FL) - Numbers in place of letters = unforgiveable.
Sweet Mullets (WI) - Like Hoof Hearted, it’s a joke that was not very funny in the first place and gets old quick, and they’re stuck with it forever.
Karben4 (WI) - What is that?
Singin’ River (AL), Crazy Sista (AL), Freak’N (AZ) - Misspelled words, abbreviated, slang - annoying.
CAUTION: (CO) - Breweries that can’t turn Caps Lock off.

I’m not a fan of the ones that just use a city or state.

And, of course, all the breweries that use names that already exist elsewhere.

TURDFERGUSON
beers 4067 º places 154 º 08:37 Tue 8/12/2014

Horny Hideaway (aka Horny Goat Brewing Company)
Unknown Brewing

jmikolich
beers 1486 º places 112 º 09:18 Tue 8/12/2014

Originally posted by phaleslu
Ohio has a bunch, as previously mentioned. I don’t like the name JAFB-Wooster on many levels: it’s an acronym, it stands for Just Another Fucking Brewery, it has a hyphen and a town name in the title. Just bad all around.

Also the owners/founders surnames initials. If you go in there the locals get terribly annoyed when people call it by its more widely known acronym.

They make darn good IPA’s though.

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 12:13 Tue 8/12/2014

Another bad one in Chicago that is opening soon (I think) is Motor Row Brewing. I don’t think it’s a bad name on its own but to me it sounds like the name of a brewery from Detroit. Yeah, I guess the Motor City doesn’t have complete dominance of all things motor but still... Good folks though.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 12:43 Tue 8/12/2014

Originally posted by jmikolich
Originally posted by phaleslu

Also the owners/founders surnames initials. If you go in there the locals get terribly annoyed when people call it by its more widely known acronym.

They make darn good IPA’s though.

Fuck the locals, that’s what the brewer told me it stood for the first time I met him. And they do make great beer, so don’t care about the name. Come to think if it, I don’t like the Fat Head’s name or logo either, but the make some of the best beer I have ever had...

phaleslu
admin
beers 16532 º places 792 º 13:05 Tue 8/12/2014

I don’t think anyone is knocking any of these breweries’ beers, just their names.

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 13:19 Tue 8/12/2014

Seems there is an abundance of brewery owners with 14 year old boy minds out there.