Ballast Point bought

Reads 1045 • Replies 11 • Started Monday, November 16, 2015 7:40:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 19:40 Mon 11/16/2015

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 19:44 Mon 11/16/2015

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 19:46 Mon 11/16/2015

These valuations are insane. Big brewers are getting desperate to get in before its too late. Lucky for the few who will be acquired. Say what you will about selling out: no craft brewer on this earth would reject a payday that would pocket them anywhere between $100m-500m+.

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 19:48 Mon 11/16/2015

DrEvil.gif

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 20:15 Mon 11/16/2015

Originally posted by Homer321
Originally posted by OldGrowth
damn, 1 billion dollars
Constellation Brands to buy Ballast Point

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/and-another-one_280699.htm

I guess that’s a good example for as we need proper thread titles. "and another one" sounds like an OTL thread.

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 20:34 Mon 11/16/2015

Originally posted by AdamChandler
Originally posted by Homer321
Originally posted by OldGrowth
damn, 1 billion dollars
Constellation Brands to buy Ballast Point

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/and-another-one_280699.htm

I guess that’s a good example for as we need proper thread titles. "and another one" sounds like an OTL thread.

that’s why I missed it, Admins can delete this.....

Oakes
admin
beers 30614 º places 1135 º 22:52 Mon 11/16/2015

Originally posted by puzzl
These valuations are insane. Big brewers are getting desperate to get in before its too late. Lucky for the few who will be acquired. Say what you will about selling out: no craft brewer on this earth would reject a payday that would pocket them anywhere between $100m-500m+.

Yeah, I’m not seeing how these valuations make sense. I mean, if they filed for an IPO in the range of $172.5 last month, how does $1 bil make any sense this month? I guess that’s the difference between a rational market and just a lone irrational buyer.

Not sure how you go from $9.2 million in net income to $1 billion valuation. Certainly not as a business with an unsustainable growth rate, and what’s Constellation going to add that’s better? Good for the Ballast Point people to get theirs, but it’s not a valuation that makes sense.

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 23:20 Mon 11/16/2015

Originally posted by Oakes

Yeah, I’m not seeing how these valuations make sense. I mean, if they filed for an IPO in the range of $172.5 last month, how does $1 bil make any sense this month? I guess that’s the difference between a rational market and just a lone irrational buyer.

Not sure how you go from $9.2 million in net income to $1 billion valuation. Certainly not as a business with an unsustainable growth rate, and what’s Constellation going to add that’s better? Good for the Ballast Point people to get theirs, but it’s not a valuation that makes sense.

It’s like when Steve Ballmer bought the Clippers for $2 billion... seems like just a huge jump in valuation, but really, it’s just someone with an incredible amount of capital making a speculative purchase, I guess. It’s the first craft purchase for Constellation, as far as I can tell, and what better way to get into the market then with a brewery that’s practically doubling production every year.

Who knows, maybe in five years we’ll be looking at this as a steal.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 01:02 Tue 11/17/2015

If you’re asking me, and you aren’t, but pretend you asked me, well, I’d rather own the Clippers than Ballast Point.

Blazer06
00:35 Wed 11/18/2015

Originally posted by Oakes

According to this article the IPO was hoping to raise $172mil for 10-16% of the company. That means they were expecting a valuation somewhere in the ballpark of what this sale ended up going for.

Plus, this also says the distillery is excluded which just increases my confusion on how they reached a $1billion valuation.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/constellation-brands-makes-a-1-billion-bet-on-craft-beer

blipp
beers 14840 º places 219 º 09:31 Wed 11/18/2015

If you’re asking me, and you aren’t, but pretend you asked me, well, I’d rather own the Clippers than Ballast Point.

If I owned the Clippers I would force Blake Griffin to be my best friend.