RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Baltic Porter

read 804 times • 28 replies • posted 12/28/2013 10:27:52 PM

Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Originally posted by bitbucket
Originally posted by SamGamgee
My take. Is that itís a big schwarzbier or tmavy. But thatís a continental Baltic porter. Nordic Baltic porter is another thing altogether and looks more like what you are going for, which is an English porter that might have lager yeast.

So youíre saying it tends to be Continental? But I should go Nordic, which is an imperial brown porter with lager yeast? Am I getting that right? According to the BJCP folks Iím pretty much middle of the road, style-wise, but I tend to the high side on SRM and IBU.

I could go with Carafa to get the color without the roast.

Agreed.

I would substitute Carafa for your Brown and Chocolate. I know that youíd have to use less to get the color the same, but Iím too lazy to do the calculations.

According to the BJCP website: "Brown or amber malt common in historical recipes." The brown malt comes in at 65 SRM, so itís not adding a lot of roast. I did ditch the chocolate in favor or Carafa II but could easily be talked into a somewhat larger amount of Carafa I.

A nice article on brown malt, if you guys are interested.

http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/item/1751-brown-malt

FWIW, there is a former NHC gold medal winner in the Baltic Porter category that used no Carafa, but did use nearly a pound of chocolate malts.
http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/ThreeKingsBalticPorter
12/31/2013 7:05:47 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Originally posted by CLevar
Reading a porter Wiki article, I really have the hankering to brew a 100% brown malt "porter" now...

Once you mentioned it, this idea was intriguing to me as well. The bad news is that itís impossible:

If you want to brew a Brown Malt Brown Porter, you can only use 5 3/4 pounds of malt for a five gallon batch before it gets too dark. For a Brown Malt Robust Porter, you can get up to 7 1/2 pounds of malt before it gets too dark, and you really have only enough alcohol for a Brown Malt Mild.

Once you add enough malt for a porter, you really have a Brown Malt Stout Porter, at nearly 50L.

Unless you have access to some lighter Brown Malt than I know about.
1/1/2014 1:25:12 PM

Post a reply Post reply

CLevar 377:10
Originally posted by CLevar
Reading a porter Wiki article, I really have the hankering to brew a 100% brown malt "porter" now...

Once you mentioned it, this idea was intriguing to me as well. The bad news is that itís impossible:

If you want to brew a Brown Malt Brown Porter, you can only use 5 3/4 pounds of malt for a five gallon batch before it gets too dark. For a Brown Malt Robust Porter, you can get up to 7 1/2 pounds of malt before it gets too dark, and you really have only enough alcohol for a Brown Malt Mild.

Once you add enough malt for a porter, you really have a Brown Malt Stout Porter, at nearly 50L.

Unless you have access to some lighter Brown Malt than I know about.

Been reading some homebrew forum posts where folks made their own "blown/brown malt". Seems like that would make it possible (From an enzymatic and color standpoint at least). Might be a fun experiment for a small batch!
1/1/2014 2:59:12 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Homer321 999:22
Would Brown malt even have enough diastatic power to convert itself?
1/1/2014 3:10:45 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Originally posted by Homer321
Would Brown malt even have enough diastatic power to convert itself?

Apparently not the modern stuff. Hence the need to make your own.
1/1/2014 3:12:20 PM

Post a reply Post reply

premium

That was interesting. I think Iíll pull a recipe out of there.

BTW, if anyone is wondering about Piloncillo (used in the 1850 Imperial Brown Stout recipe) itís raw sugar available from Hispanic grocery stores. I think it literally translates to ílittle pylonsí and the name is apt because the look like little brown traffic cones.
1/1/2014 7:12:09 PM

Post a reply Post reply

Christian 10781:236
Originally posted by bitbucketOnce you mentioned it, this idea was intriguing to me as well. The bad news is that itís impossible:

If you make a 100% brown malt porter,itís not going tobe a BJCP porter anyway, so why worry about an arbitrary set of colour and ABV guidelines?
1/2/2014 10:21:13 AM

Post a reply Post reply

That was interesting. I think Iíll pull a recipe out of there.

BTW, if anyone is wondering about Piloncillo (used in the 1850 Imperial Brown Stout recipe) itís raw sugar available from Hispanic grocery stores. I think it literally translates to ílittle pylonsí and the name is apt because the look like little brown traffic cones.

And itís super tasty.
1/2/2014 10:24:29 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Reply to Thread     
Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add