RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Basque Cider

read 1120 times • 19 replies • posted 9/6/2012 9:35:38 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

levifunk 12:
Iíve been trying to find some more information on Basque ciders, but there is surprisingly little out there. Does anyone know of a good source? Iím looking to learn more about the traditional process.

A family friend has an apple orchard and wants my help in starting a potential cider company. Currently I am thinking a cider "saison" in french oak would be best, but the lambic lover in me is intrigued by these Basque ciders. Also, if anyone has these on the shelves around them, let me know.
Private message Send the author a private message

HornyDevil
Interesting subject. If you find out anything, please post it. FWIW, Iím planning on doing a sour apple cider beer next month some time. Probably half pale ale base sans hops and half cider pitched onto some sour dreggs.
9/6/2012 9:38:26 AM

Private message send the author a private message

beastiefan2k 2274:176
Originally posted by levifunk
but the lambic lover in me is intrigued by these Basque ciders.

fwiw, from my small experience French Normandy ciders are a lot more funky or wild than Basque ciders. Also, much more carbonated.
9/6/2012 9:57:45 AM

NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by levifunk
but the lambic lover in me is intrigued by these Basque ciders.

fwiw, from my small experience French Normandy ciders are a lot more funky or wild than Basque ciders. Also, much more carbonated.

There is a process known as ídefecationí that is the natural pre-fermentation clarification. The biggest trick, it seems, is preventing the acetobacter from taking hold if you go spontaneous.
9/6/2012 10:08:54 AM

premium
pellegjr 395:16
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Interesting subject. If you find out anything, please post it. FWIW, Iím planning on doing a sour apple cider beer next month some time. Probably half pale ale base sans hops and half cider pitched onto some sour dreggs.

Iím just finishing up an 11 month fermentation on a straight cider fermented with the dregs of various sours. Nice, but nowehere near as much sourness as I expected.
9/6/2012 10:09:50 AM

Baptiste 1:1
Astarbe Natural Basque Cider. If you like sour beers, you will love this!

Astarbe Natural Apple Cider and Bereziartua Apple Cider.

These are in Northern California.

I have reviews on my face book Craft-Ciders site.

Thanks
9/6/2012 10:47:19 AM

premium
CanIHave4Beers 2908:74
Originally posted by Baptiste

Astarbe Natural Apple Cider and Bereziartua Apple Cider.

Welcome!

Thanks for the heads up on these two, theyíre both getting good ratings! Bereziartua & Astarbe .
9/6/2012 10:55:06 AM

premium
GodOfThunder 1244:34
I just returned from a trip to Euskadi and drove all around the cider producing area. There are many cideries in a very small area, just to the south of San Sebastian. Iíd recommend this trip to anyone. It was fabulous.

First, the Sagardoetxea Museum was a must-stop, and has an informative website, some of it in English: http://sagardoetxea.com/index.php?id=2&L=3

Iíve only had two sidras imported to the states, and both have been more funky than what I had in Spain. In Spain, they are much more crisp, refreshing, and less funky. The time in the bottle transporting to the states must be enough to get that funk out.

From what I saw at the museum, they simply wait until the apples fall off the tree, pick them up, and let the yeast and bacteria in the skins do the work. There is no added yeast.

9/6/2012 11:22:02 AM

premium
GodOfThunder 1244:34
It is in Spanish, but this is still a neat video.

9/6/2012 11:46:35 AM

beastiefan2k 2274:176
cool video, from the ratings the cider seems to be too industrial.
9/6/2012 12:51:25 PM

levifunk 12:
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
cool video, from the ratings the cider seems to be too industrial.

Agreed. I get the impression that some of these Bosque ciders are commercialized operations. I havenít had any of these, but Iíd like to try some. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Ideally, Iíd like to create something in between the saison/farmhouse style and lambic style......applying it to cider. I get the impression that Bosque ciders are/were that?

I just havenít been able to 1.) try any of these yet and 2.) find any detailed write up of the historical process.
9/6/2012 1:45:06 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add