RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Beer about town: London

read 12200 times • 228 replies • posted 4/25/2013 1:48:08 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

premium
HogTownHarry 6126:28
Originally posted by jackl
On Tap at The Cock:

Cask:
- a bunch of bullshit ciders
- Dark Star Summer Meltdown
- Brodies Mild
- Brodies Bethnal Green Bitter
- Brodies Citra
- Howling Hops Ruby Red
- Howling Hops Chocolate Stout
- Howling Hops Pale Ale XX 5256
Hop Trial
- Howling Hops Mild Ale

Keg:
- Camden Unfiltered Hells
- Magic Rock Dark Arts
- Kernel Pale Ale Mosaic
- Brodies Hoxton Special IPA
- Kernel Table Beer
- Kernel IPA Double Citra
- Camden Hells
- Brodies Apricot Sour

Bottles:
A bunch of bottles. i see a new Howling Hops RIS (12.5%), Howling Hops Pale Ale No. 5, some Weird Beard stuff too.

The Cock? I am putting my list of must-visit pubs together for August - do you have a link to The Cock? Or at least a nearest Tube station?
5/19/2013 12:33:46 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
jackl 4671:416
Originally posted by HogTownHarry
The Cock? I am putting my list of must-visit pubs together for August - do you have a link to The Cock? Or at least a nearest Tube station?

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=28936

Opened last summer in Hackney Central. Definitely a must-visit place.
5/19/2013 12:47:27 PM

premium

Okay, senior moment on my part - my wife and I were at The Cock last August, had a nice few half pints and a yak with the barman - it was recommended to me by the chap at Southampton Arms - as I recall, The Cock is brewing the house beers for SH? Anyway, yes, really nice place - I couldnít do it justice last year but shall remedy that this year - and maybe pop down to The Pembury too.
5/19/2013 2:37:53 PM

premium
Leighton 11322:624

Okay, senior moment on my part - my wife and I were at The Cock last August, had a nice few half pints and a yak with the barman - it was recommended to me by the chap at Southampton Arms - as I recall, The Cock is brewing the house beers for SH? Anyway, yes, really nice place - I couldnít do it justice last year but shall remedy that this year - and maybe pop down to The Pembury too.

The Cock Tavern and the beers they showcase (Howling Hops, which are brewed in the basement) have come a long way since the pub opened last year. I think the place is probably one of my top five favorites in London at the moment.
5/19/2013 2:50:15 PM

premium
I will definitely re-rate the 3 Howling Hops brews that I had in 2012 - if the opportunity presents. Cheers, L.
5/19/2013 8:45:55 PM

premium
MAGIC ROCK UN-HUMAN CANNONBALL: available at the Old Fountain. Price is about £15 per bottle.
5/20/2013 11:40:47 AM

tdtm82 668:77
The Cock Tavern is owned by the same people whom own Southmapton Arms. Itís an old Trumanís pub and probably one of the best old school English pubs in the country. It just needs a bit more food and a fire to make it perfect.
5/20/2013 3:40:10 PM

premium
Iíve just heard on the wire that the Windsor Castle in Kensington has upped its game considerably. Jack, can you please provide some specifics when you have the chance?
5/21/2013 6:40:59 AM

premium
Originally posted by Leighton
Iíve just heard on the wire that the Windsor Castle in Kensington has upped its game considerably. Jack, can you please provide some specifics when you have the chance?

With pleasure.

I canít remember which upscale pubco now owns the Windsor Castle, but theyíve done a very good job giving the place a needed facelift. The pub retains the segmented drinking areas, but most of the fixtures and tables have been tastefully restored. The beer selection has definitely improved. Thereís now 10 casks plus an additional 14 keg options and a few bottles. The beer selectionís safe, but solid. No Doom Bar etc. Stuff like Windsor & Eton, Roosters, & Portobello featured on cask. Keg stuff featured some premie macros and stuff like Brooklyn lager and Meantime. The foodís very tasty , simple pub fare. The staff were keen.

Make no mistake, this isnít a beer geek destination. Itís just a nice (if pricy) local. Iím happy to crow about it as we have such scant pickings in the area.
5/21/2013 7:52:27 AM

premium
Also, forgot to mention that it looks like theyíll be doing regular beer festivals going forward,
5/21/2013 7:53:42 AM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search
Add A Beer
Add A Brewer