RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Beer Aging Question

read 437 times • 7 replies • posted 10/7/2012 10:34:42 AM

Thread Frozen

premium
bytemesis 2952:357
So I have some Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart (2012 vintage) stored in my parents basement (climate controlled) in Wisconsin. Wondering how long I can let them be before I need to drink/trade them? I only get home once or twice a year so my access is sporadic at best.

Thanks!
Private message Send the author a private message

cquiroga 371:11
Pasteurized, force-carbonated. Wonít help, but they are pretty shelf-stable for many months and arguably even years. Even at room temperature. Itís a long, slow fade. Longer and slower, the lower the temperature. I wouldnít worry about them at all.
10/7/2012 10:51:22 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
StefanSD 2072:45
Iíve sat on the Belgian Red for a couple of years and it held up well. I did not notice any big change or improvement in the flavor, so Iíd have to say that there is really no need to cellar it.
10/7/2012 10:53:00 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
The only thing Iíve seen happen is that theyíll pick up some metallic notes over time due to the oxidation. Other than that, not much else happens.
10/8/2012 7:02:47 AM

csano
Are the Red/Tart beers vintages? I thought they were bottled year round.
10/8/2012 10:53:25 AM

premium
pepsican 1438:46
Yep. Those beers hold up extremely well to the effects from aging, but drink them as soon as you want to. Like most beer, they donít get better with age.
10/8/2012 10:54:41 AM

premium
bytemesis 2952:357
@csano; sorry, misuse of the word "Vintage" I just mean that it is recently purchased rather than already aged.

Thanks for all the comments! Since I have sporadic access to the bottles I was just wondering if I need to take care of them all when I am home next month, or if I can leave some for next time. :)
10/8/2012 11:05:22 AM

csano
Originally posted by bytemesis
@csano; sorry, misuse of the word "Vintage" I just mean that it is recently purchased rather than already aged.

No worries, man, was just checking.
10/8/2012 11:44:23 AM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add