RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

beer and chocolate pairing

read 609 times • 7 replies • posted 10/6/2012 10:41:30 AM

Thread Frozen

BornemKills 2
Hi All,
Iím going to be doing a beer and chocolate pairing in December but Iím starting the planning now. Iím going to choose 5 beers to pair with 5 chocolates. Iím going to list the chocolates below and wanted to see if any one had any ideas or advice. Thanks!

Framboise beer truffle: I figured with this one I would use Lindemanns Framboise. Seems simple but should work.

Sea Salt Nut Bark: This has cashews,almonds, macadamia nuts, sea salt and dark chocolate. I was thinking maybe an english brown ale or maybe a nice Red IPA?

Cinnamon/Cayenne Pepper Bar: This had cinnamon,cayenne and dark chocolate. This I was thinking a citrusy pale or Ipa. Iím hoping the hops and citus bring out the spices but cleanse the palate at the same time

Chocolate dipped blueberries: This is just dried blueberries dipped in milk chocolate. I was thinking an imperial stout for this. Maybe Rasputin.

Pumpkin ginger snap cookie drizzled with milk chocolate: This has flour, sugar,cinnamon,nutmeg,dash of cloves,pumpkin flavoring and drizzed with milk chocolate: This is going to be interesting. A lot going on spice wise and milk chocolate being sweet. I am thinking maybe a nice Saison of some sort. A little grassy lite but enough to enhance all the spices in the cookie.

So any thought or advise would be great. thanks!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
keanex 1435:52
Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti would be good with the Cinnamaon Cayenne Pepper bar, it should compliment it perfectly.
10/6/2012 10:55:20 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
admin
joet 2162:91
That all looks pretty good. When youíre pairing with hops, and you probably know this based on your expert pairings above, the bittersweetness of the chocolate will need to be in the same ballpark as the beer. More cocoa tends to mean more bitter with chocolate but more hops donít mean the same in beer. Youíll have to look out for sugar-loaded IPAs if youíre pairing with a bitter chocolate.
10/6/2012 11:06:39 AM

BornemKills 2
That does sound good. Unfortunately in Maine and I canít get it here. Though I have had it and its delcious. I will try and mimic that with what I can get here
Originally posted by keanex
Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti would be good with the Cinnamaon Cayenne Pepper bar, it should compliment it perfectly.
10/6/2012 2:15:38 PM

BornemKills 2
I was wondering about that. So basically I want more higher end Pale ale or just an IPA.Not an Imperial because excess hop and alcohol could unbalance the flavors.
Originally posted by joet
That all looks pretty good. When youíre pairing with hops, and you probably know this based on your expert pairings above, the bittersweetness of the chocolate will need to be in the same ballpark as the beer. More cocoa tends to mean more bitter with chocolate but more hops donít mean the same in beer. Youíll have to look out for sugar-loaded IPAs if youíre pairing with a bitter chocolate.
10/6/2012 2:19:25 PM

premium
admin
joet 2162:91
Originally posted by BornemKills
I was wondering about that. So basically I want more higher end Pale ale or just an IPA.Not an Imperial because excess hop and alcohol could unbalance the flavors.
Originally posted by joet

Itís really about the amount of sugar in the beer vs chocolate. I donít often talk about food so forgive me for using a lot of words here to say something that dedicated food people can probably say much more succinctly.

One of my favorite pairings is very bitter chocolate with straw, wood features with bristly, piney, herbaceous dry hop bombs.

Possible problems are only if youíre using very bitter chocolate -- say 85%+ and you canít find a dry hop bomb. This can happen though if you have a hop bomb and itís old enough that the hops have faded to a point where it begins to taste sweet.

The result is the chocolate tastes even more bitter by comparison and all the subtlety on each side of the comparison is lost.

10/6/2012 3:22:57 PM

McWorta 575:106
Some general things here! the higher the cocoa% the more delicate the beer!
99% cocoa means quite a punch so you need a punchy beer, something highly peated/roasted be here a good guess. And from there on you go lower... fruit aromas in beer can be complicated with the chocolate, so be careful. If the tasting is highly serious do not try only yourslef but as well some third person who will not be present at you tasting. Could be worth it.
10/12/2012 1:41:15 PM

BornemKills 2
Great I really appreciate the help. Thank you
10/13/2012 3:29:18 AM

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer