RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Beer Industry Question???

read 2915 times • 24 replies • posted 2/13/2013 1:09:54 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

mustardtiger 4:2
I donít think the 20-40K salary range is necessarily correct. I have worked for a medium sized distributor as well as two medium sized breweries (10K-30K Barrels a Year) and made no less than 45K (without considering bounuse)s in the first two jobs and significantly more in my current position. I think the best advice that can be given is to keep your eyes open to the people who are giving their reps the tools to do the job. A lot of guys are expnading big time and they know how hard it is for people to cover multiple states. If you do your homework you can find a pretty decent salary. Just my two cents.
4/2/2013 6:03:47 PM

Private message send the author a private message

brewtopian 2:
Thereís a reason that the vast majority of beer reps are early 30ís, single, male, former bartenders. They are cheap.

I was just talking with one of my reps this morning who was a brewery rep for a medium sized regional brewer where he made $32,000 with no auto allowance and no benefits. His market was an entire state plus sections of two adjoining states.

He now works for a local distributor, a small start up where he makes $26,000 with no benefits and no car allowance.
4/2/2013 10:16:58 PM

premium
Leighton 10512:574
I used to work for a distributor in NYC, but not as a sales rep, so Iím not sure what the base salary is. I can tell you, though, that there were constantly sales incentives (taking over tap lines, selling new releases/ seasonals, etc.) and that the good reps could make quite a bit of money beyond their base pay (easily in the $1000s over the course of a year - if you hit the incentive targets). In my experience, there are two types of people who can succeed as sales reps: people who love beer, and/ or people who love to sell. When you have some of both, youíll do very well; if you have neither, you wonít last long.
4/3/2013 2:48:29 AM

erway 1004:41
I would expect, depending on which market, to start in the $40s.
4/3/2013 4:52:46 AM

premium
jmagnus87 2401:85
Ive put ovet 30k miles on my vehicle in the last 6 months. My car allowance is $425/month. fyi.
4/3/2013 7:48:10 AM

premium
jmagnus87 2401:85
Granted, i work as a sales rep for a large distributor. Base salary in the mid 30s. If you hit every incentive (impossible), its worth close to another 10k a year. Also, expect to work 12-15 hours/day.
4/3/2013 9:00:54 AM

Originally posted by brewtopian
Thereís a reason that the vast majority of beer reps are early 30ís, single, male, former bartenders. They are cheap.

I was just talking with one of my reps this morning who was a brewery rep for a medium sized regional brewer where he made $32,000 with no auto allowance and no benefits. His market was an entire state plus sections of two adjoining states.

He now works for a local distributor, a small start up where he makes $26,000 with no benefits and no car allowance.

What state are you in? My territory is the Mid-Atlantic (NY,NJ,PA) and I would say $32,000 is way below the standard starting salary for a Brewery or Distributor rep.
4/3/2013 5:47:20 PM

Originally posted by Leighton
I used to work for a distributor in NYC, but not as a sales rep, so Iím not sure what the base salary is. I can tell you, though, that there were constantly sales incentives (taking over tap lines, selling new releases/ seasonals, etc.) and that the good reps could make quite a bit of money beyond their base pay (easily in the $1000s over the course of a year - if you hit the incentive targets). In my experience, there are two types of people who can succeed as sales reps: people who love beer, and/ or people who love to sell. When you have some of both, youíll do very well; if you have neither, you wonít last long.

Union? SKI? Manhattan? I know alot of the reps that sell my beer can make well into the 50ís if the get there incentives and win the spiffs.
4/3/2013 5:51:27 PM

premium
heykevin 1274:
You donít go into this business to get rich you go into it because you love it. If you want to make a lot of money selling something go to Pharma. If you want to love what you do sell beer.

You can say that again.

I say that as a recovering organic chemist selling beer.
4/3/2013 5:57:59 PM

Iím 29,Married, a woman and a former stripper. I think Iím pretty rich.
4/3/2013 8:38:58 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers