Beer Liquor/spirits were do they stand on RateBeer ?

Reads 660 • Replies 6 • Started Sunday, January 3, 2016 9:16:34 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

RW80
beers 3114 º places 33 º 09:16 Sun 1/3/2016

Hi

I got a question seeing the stuff at a few of my local liquor stores.

The Question is: Where do beer liquors/ spiits fit in on ratebeer ?

It’s not beer, but is it less beer as Sake,Mead or Cider. ? :-)

Now some might say they are Eisbocks. And some even use the Eisbock process in some form. Now the definition on ratebeer for an Eisbock says this: "A stronger version of Doppelbock. Deep copper to black. Very alcoholic. Typically brewed by freezing a doppelbock and removing resulting ice to increase alcohol content."
And I see we took a liberal approach on the starting point of Eisbocks allready so that the description no longer is correct. For instance those Struise brews as CDOS are eisbocked stouts.

However incase of these Liquors some are using different destillation methods, which makes it even more complicated.

So do they fit in and if yes how ?

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 09:33 Sun 1/3/2016

As far as my understanding goes, eisbock is a beer, made more intense ( by extracting water ) VS destilate is where the alcohol is vaporized, and cooled down to a liquid. It does not contain the basic ingredients for what we call beer.
Beer is a liquid based on malts, spiced ( mostly with hops ) and fermented ( thus containing alcohol ) .
Liquor is often destilled, and thus based on the very alcohol that comes from a liquid - where beer is 1 option for - it is no longer catagorized as beer.

So to compare liquor to Eisbocks, is for me irrelevant here.
I do hear you when you ask yourself why sake and cider and mead are rateable. I guess this is a much-discussed subject on RB. all those, however, are also fermented, and not destiled. They are indeed not ’more beer-like’ but at least, the alcohol production is similar.

My guesses are that that is the reason why these are all on RB, and destillates are not. one might argue about wine ( also fermented ) but there are more than enough sites about wine as it is, I guess :)

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 09:45 Sun 1/3/2016

As soon as it’s distilled it’s not beer.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 09:47 Sun 1/3/2016

Waarom schrijven we trouwens Engels op het Nederlandse forum? Ik denk dat je je vraag in het Nederlands beter kunt verwoorden, nu vind ik het wel een beetje onduidelijk geformuleerd. Anyway, er is een vrij kromme argumentatie waarom cider en sake verschillen van wijn en wel op Ratebeer moegen. Qua andere soorten van alcohol is het productiueproces volledig anders zoals Kraddel al zegt.

RW80
beers 3114 º places 33 º 09:51 Sun 1/3/2016

Wrong posting this one shoud have gone international.

Maakun
beers 10309 º places 319 º 14:01 Sun 1/3/2016

So yes the Sruise Pannepot distillates (10cl for 25 euro) are not rateable :)

bierkoning
beers 20220 º places 431 º 14:21 Sun 1/3/2016

Gedestilleerd is niet Rateable, eisbocken wel. Kleine hoeveelheden gedestilleerd toevoegen (enkele procenten) meestal ook.