Belgian White

Reads 1382 • Replies 20 • Started Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:06:59 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Zunkmeister
10:06 Tue 12/31/2013

can someone give me some advice on a Belgian White?

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 10:33 Tue 12/31/2013

Here’s a couple of recipes that folks from the site have posted...
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=134
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=59
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=3

What in particular do you need advice about? Are you going for a particular flavor profile/want it to taste like a particular beer?

HornyDevil
10:46 Tue 12/31/2013

Avoid putting an orange slice on your glass when drinking it.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 10:55 Tue 12/31/2013

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Avoid putting an orange slice on your glass when drinking it.

If it’s a crappy wit then that’s about the only way to make it drinkable. Same goes for any poorly made wheat beer, including the American Wheat Garbage-Style Ale (hefe’s).

On a more serious note I’d be curious to hear some procedural / recipe advice too. St Bernardus Wit is one of my favorite beers of all time and I’d love to brew a good wit one of these days.

Zunkmeister
11:06 Tue 12/31/2013

I’m a rookie and this is my first batch. I currently have in the plastic bucker fermenter- how long do I leave it before transferring to the glass carboy with the remaining spices?

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 11:17 Tue 12/31/2013

Originally posted by Zunkmeister
I’m a rookie and this is my first batch. I currently have in the plastic bucker fermenter- how long do I leave it before transferring to the glass carboy with the remaining spices?

You probably don’t need to rack it at all if you don’t want. Also, is there a point to adding spices at different times? Why not add it at the end of the boil?

The point of racking is get the beer off of the yeast cake, which applies to beers that you either want to age a long time or you want to make extra clear. Neither of those really apply here, unless I’m missing something.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 11:46 Tue 12/31/2013

Spices in at flameout, bottle or keg from primary a few days after fermentation stops. Carbonate on the high side (like 2.7 volumes or a little higher maybe). This is a beer you can be drinking in a couple weeks from brew day. I like a mix of 50% pils, 40% flaked wheat, and 10% flakes oats, about 15 IBU noble hops at start of boil and whatever wit yeast you like.

HornyDevil
12:12 Tue 12/31/2013

Originally posted by Zunkmeister

Since this is your first batch, you should try to keep things as uncomplicated as possible.

Leave it in the bucket for a week and then rack it to the carboy.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:03 Tue 12/31/2013

robrules
places 1 º 12:31 Mon 1/6/2014

Avoid the vegetal round coriander and use the fruitier oblong kind.

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 12:47 Mon 1/6/2014

Originally posted by robrules
Avoid the vegetal round coriander and use the fruitier oblong kind.

Care to elaborate? I know very little about coriander other than it can overpower a beer easily.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer