Belgium comes to Cooperstown ?

Reads 641 • Replies 9 • Started Monday, June 6, 2016 8:15:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

lampeno420
beers 320 º places 11 º 20:15 Mon 6/6/2016

Hey everyone, we’re looking to expand our beer festival horizons and BCTC caught my attention a while back. Just looked and it seems like i can still get regular tickets but after a bit of digging i started to notice this really isn’t a "Belgian beer" party, more of a "U.S. guys that make a couple belgian inspired beers". Am i way off here? Im just going on the beer list i found from last year. Has anyone been? I’m from the west side of Michigan and the drive is about 10 hours cutting through Canada. Any input is greatly appreciated.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 20:51 Mon 6/6/2016

You should go. It’s a fantastic festival.

spacecoyote
20:52 Mon 6/6/2016

It’s a rager. Bring your big boy pants if you come.

This is the ’fest that industry people go to to let off some steam. Definitely worth attending.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 22:14 Mon 6/6/2016

I drive a couple of hours to it each year, and might drive 5-6 if that’s what the distance was. Not sure if I’d do 10 though.

Jow
beers 7343 º places 487 º 07:39 Tue 6/7/2016

Defiantly one of my favorite festivals. Haven’t been in a couple years so can’t speak to list but Ommegang specialize in Belgian style beer. It’s also very scenic and wonderful atmosphere for festival. Highly recommend.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 07:45 Tue 6/7/2016

I drive 5 hours each way to BCTC every year. Easily, can get 150 new ratings without really trying and that’s just during the beer tasting bit. I wish they had places to sit down like european festivals. Very good belgian cuisine. Brewers are all required to bring beers that are belgian styles. The big guys tend to veer off that path and start whipping out double IPAs and imperial stouts but for the most part, every beer is a belgian style.

I’d say 25% of the beers I try are pretty good. the rest are decent to shit. That’s just craft beer in general though and shouldn’t detract anyone from going. After the tasting, Ommengagng screens movies, has fireworks, there’s a ferris wheel. live bands all day, brewery tours, fantastic frites and mussels and the bottle shares at night can get pretty awesome depending on who you know.

Generally, I camp 2 nights in a row since I’m so far away.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 01:15 Thu 6/9/2016

I’ve wanted to attend for like 8 years now, maybe longer. I still consider driving out from the middle of Iowa every year, do it... just go have fun.

lampeno420
beers 320 º places 11 º 19:15 Fri 6/10/2016

Damn, you guys are making this trip sound really tempting. Not into the ticks and rates anymore just was looking to try something different this year for a festival. If the timing with work lines up there is a chance we might be attending

flabeer
places 2 º 14:54 Sat 6/11/2016

“The Festival” is in Louisville KY this year if you want a fantastic festival. More true Belgian beer than most any other festival in the country, all poured by the brewers themselves.
http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/festival/

lampeno420
beers 320 º places 11 º 17:29 Sun 6/12/2016

Damn, damn damn damn. Thank you flabeer i think you just changed my mind, Louisville is like 5 hrs from here and sounds awesome