Belgium Nov. 6-10, Brussels-Gent-

Reads 1770 • Replies 13 • Started Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:55:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

kerenmk
beers 7425 º places 316 º 05:55 Sun 10/5/2014

Attending a concert in Diksmuide on the 8th of November, I taylored a small beer itinerary around it. Any thoughts and tips are welcome:
Brussels - Moeder Lambic at the city center, Hoppy Loft, Le Poechenellekelder. Been to Cantillon before and being vegan, I don’t care much about the higest rated restaurants.

Looked at the ratings and I wonder about In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst - I’m traveling on my own, relying on public transportation and am not a big fan of lambics and sour beer, though I rate and tick and have a few of them on my 1001 beer list. Is it worth the time and money or should I wait until I visit with my husband and a rental car?

Gent - all set, I think.Waterhuis aan de Bierkant. Trollekelder. Maybe The Glengarry (Gent) because of whisky.

Diksmuide - only one bar is listed there. Anything I’m missing? Anything else to do/ see there? I’d go to Ieper, but it’s a long ride on public transportation?

Cheers,
Keren

GlasgowTAD
beers 2015 º places 38 º 06:53 Sun 10/5/2014

I am going on a similar trip on the 20th of October - I plan on going to the same places in Brussels then on to a few beer shops in Gent. I am searching for a hotel in Brussels at the minute but cant decide on an area; any advice? I was looking for somewhere central, near Cantillon and the train but all these areas seem quite expensive; Anderlecht can be quite sketchy I heard though there are cheaper rooms there. Sorry to hijack; thought Id ask rather than make a new thread - as you may be able to share some of your research/experience.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 07:01 Sun 10/5/2014

Definitely go to Bruges if you can fit it in.

kerenmk
beers 7425 º places 316 º 07:38 Sun 10/5/2014

GlasgowTAD - I booked a room via AirBnB, but what I always do when I travel is the following: First I google-map everything I’m looking for in town (music venues, beer destinations, cocktail bars, second hand luxury bag shops, vegan restaurants...). Then I look for accomodation no further than 10 minutes walk from the most important spot. In Brussels it’s Moeder Lambic.

Beersvieknown - Been to Bruges 3 years ago. An amazing beer place, but I’ve never been to Ghent.

Bontus
beers 1044 º places 20 º 08:20 Sun 10/5/2014

Diksmuide: De Dolle Brewery (in Esen) acts as a pub in weekends. Open from 14 to 19PM.
You might be lucky and get some Oerbier Special Reserva.

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 11:16 Sun 10/5/2014

If you don’t like sours, than perhaps in de verzekering isn’t worth it . The one’s you want are probably rare ( = expensive ) , plus its hard to get there , so why bother ... just for the tick ???

Ghent certainly has bars, yet not one of the ’beerbars ’ is worth going out of your way for . IF you go to ghent, dont miss out on the brewery of Gruut . Probably the best place in ghent, appart from the bottleshops ... Beerbars in Belgium are moslty located in Bruges, Brussels , and Antwerp .

bursprak
beers 3282 º places 47 º 13:32 Sun 10/5/2014

I’m wondering about Grote Dorst as well...

Is it worth the detour between Brussels and Gent? I do love lambics but is there other stuff there that you can’t find in Brussels?

JefVerstraete
beers 7050 º places 216 º 02:46 Mon 10/6/2014

kerenmk
beers 7425 º places 316 º 04:31 Mon 10/6/2014

Originally posted by kraddel
If you don’t like sours, than perhaps in de verzekering isn’t worth it . The one’s you want are probably rare ( = expensive ) , plus its hard to get there , so why bother ... just for the tick ???

Ghent certainly has bars, yet not one of the ’beerbars ’ is worth going out of your way for . IF you go to ghent, dont miss out on the brewery of Gruut . Probably the best place in ghent, appart from the bottleshops ... Beerbars in Belgium are moslty located in Bruges, Brussels , and Antwerp .

Thanks, kraddel. Point taken regarding in de verzekering.
I *AM* going to Gent, cos I’ve never been there and I believe that there’s more to Belgium besides beer (for example, the initial reason for this trip :)). 3 years ago and about 2 weeks before joining Ratebeer, I took a beer trip to Belgium and did Antwerp and Bruges - wanna explore new places this time. Gruut is a good idea - I’ll see their schedule. Cheers.

kerenmk
beers 7425 º places 316 º 03:51 Fri 10/24/2014

non-beer related question to the Belgians who might read this: should I buy railway tickets online or at the station?
Are they cheaper online than at the station? Are trains expected to be over-crowded in this holiday weekend, or can I allow myself the flexibility?
12 days to go til the insane business review is over and the airplane departs, yay!
Thanks.

JefVerstraete
beers 7050 º places 216 º 04:11 Fri 10/24/2014

Price for train tickets is the same on line or in the station. There can be long queues in the station so be in time or buy tickets in advance at the vending machines in every station. Normally there is always place in the trains in the weekend and there are good connections between Brugge, Gent, Brussel, Leuven, Antwerpen (at least 1 train every 30 min.).